Help How do I service the mainspring in this movement???

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hello Peoples..Greetings and salutations to all! Hey, my wife picked up a novelty clock when we were at Merritts the other day. It's a cherub holding up a clock.
I thought I should service the movement. It's made by the Waterbury Clock Co with a hairspring style set-up. I'd like to dis-assemble the movement, clean it and install a couple of bushings. However, I'm stymied on how to harness the spring and remove it from the movement. The hole end of the spring is attached to a heavy steel semi-circle that is part of the one movement plate..Any suggestions?? And after that, what would be the procedure to reinstall the spring onto the catch on the heavy steel piece in the movement?...I might be overthinking this, but I can't quite come up with a plan to do this safely and also not screw up anything in the movement....Two other questions (for now, that is) How hard is it to remove that wedge that holds the one end of the hairspring. And is there a secret or trick to reinstalling the hairspring end with the wedge? ....please excuse a novices' nomenclature!!

Best,
Bob.

chcl6.jpg chcl5.jpg chcl4.jpg chcl3.jpg chcl2.jpg chcl1.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Strange! Maybe you could fit a flat spring clamp inside the semicircle? As for the hairspring, the wedge just pulls out. Take note of where it is attached to the spring so you can put it back without altering the spring length. You'll have to fish the end out and then back into the rating loop.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
You may be able to get a piece of strong bendable wire around the spring near one edge and slide it as close to the semicircle as possible and then twist the wire ends so it could not expand when let down.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
'Bugsey, Will...Both good Ideas and two that i've entertained. Either seems like it could work, albeit a little dicey...I'll get back to you guys on which way I go and give you the results....'Bugsey, thanx for the tips with the hairspring....
Thanks for jumpin' in....

Best,
Bob

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bob,
I haven't seen that arrangement before but that curved piece appears to have a large arc. I think you could let the spring almost all the way down and just unhook it with a pair of large keen nose pliers.
My 2, Willie X

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Bob,
I haven't seen that arrangement before but that curved piece appears to have a large arc. I think you could let the spring almost all the way down and just unhook it with a pair of large keen nose pliers.
My 2, Willie X
Hi Willie...when I let the spring down, it seemed to still have some 'juice' in it and was putting pressure on the trundles of a pinion gear...That was my first thought on how to do this....If I do get the spring off of the semi-circle as you described...?.??.? how to get it back on and set-up:???:?

Bob

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I would wire it as loose as possible with a very light wire. Put it together and either: hold the end with pliers while cutting the wire. Or, if you used a small enough wire you could probably hook it before cutting the wire. Looks like, if you use all that space, there will be near zero "juice" left in the spring. Willie X

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Sounds like a plan ...We'll see what we can do....YAY!

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff