American PW movement dial Disassembly How do I remove the dial from E Howard "L"

Francis Thayer

NAWCC Member
Apr 29, 2015
I need to safely remove the dial from a size 16 E Howard movement s#52854. My experience working on various Seth Thomas pocket watches does not inspire my confidence. I see from eBay face sales, the dials have three studs, but I don't see the tightening devices. (There screws on a Seth Thomas.) I'm not moving forward until I know what to do.
Thanks
Frank

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Ok, yes, I realize this isn't a direct answer. Here's a shot of the dial mounting on an E Howard N size from roughly the same era. Note how the tapered pin goes through the dial foot, and the dial foot is tucked under the balance cock. Look for something along those lines, maybe?

Glen

howard_dial_foot.jpg

Samie Smith

Mar 22, 2012
Monticello ky.
Country
Some of the howards have have dial screws that screw down into the dial feet,, if your watch is like this they will be on the bridge side of the movement the screws will look like pillar plate screws but they are what holds the dial in place
Samie

Francis Thayer

NAWCC Member
Apr 29, 2015
Some of the howards have have dial screws that screw down into the dial feet,, if your watch is like this they will be on the bridge side of the movement the screws will look like pillar plate screws but they are what holds the dial in place
Samie
I found the two screws that must be removed to remove the dial. I’ll try to attach a marked up photo showing the location.
Thanks
Frank

BAF6C846-1FC8-49E7-B027-03C96878A996.jpeg

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I assume you have the dial off by now but I would like to ask you about the screw at 2 o'clock in you photo.
It looks like it could be a third dial screw. Is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller