How do I remove hand nuts if perhaps a glue was used?

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I have a nice old Hubert Herr cuckoo clock. I must remove the hands to remove the movement. However, the hand nut will not budge even with the use of pliers. I suspect a super glue or Loctite was used. I tried applying heat carefully, but perhaps I didn't get hot enough. The force of the pliers was not enough. I did try a little drop of WD40 overnight in case of rust, but that didn't do the trick. Help!!!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Heat ... and protect the dial, no matter how careful you think you are. :) Doesn't have to be that hot, around 350°F will do it. Willie X

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I was trying to a hair dryer up close and personal - and with a protection layer for the hands and dial. Perhaps a little more time.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Muenster!

A small electronic-tip soldering iron can apply heat in a pretty localized area. If you have a variac or other rheostat (even a home-made controller using a light dimmer), you can cut the heat back. Unlike a hair dryer, you aren't spraying the heat everywhere.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Good suggestion Tim! I just tried using my soldering iron to strategically heat up the nut and threads. But, still no turn. Now I have the acetone out and will hope to get to penetration down into the threads and that the binding material doesn't like acetone!

SuffolkM

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2020
Country
I recently dealt with a clock where the hour hand had been replaced and glued to the front of the canon (instead of being held using friction , i.e. a brass sleeve). I used a temperature controlled soldering iron and shielded the dial using a damp cloth. The smell and the fumes of superglue burning off are deeply unpleasant - try and keep the windows open and maybe a small fan on hand to move the smoke away from you!

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I applied a good amount of heat, but now the nuts turns with the minute hand shaft. The client said that he is not opposed to a new 8-day Herr movement, so I may just remove the movement (hacksaw the nuts off) and put in a new one. Looking at the new ones, they look just like all the Herr movements throughout the decades. Is it truly the same design as 70 years ago??

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There will be at least a few differences.

Drastic measures to remove the nut:
#1 - Break off the minite hand and get someone to hold the clock so the nut is on a good size anvil, split the nut with a sharp chisel.
#2 - Break off both hands, then remove the movement from the case. Disassemble the movement. Now you can grip the handshaft with small
vise-grips, or in a vise, heat and remove the nut.

Heavy handed, Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimondsSays7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-