How do I open up this great wheel

MeMpe

May 9, 2021
Country
Hi!

My grandfather gave me this clock to fix and i think the main issue is the wind up spring is either broken or is not connected to anything, because when i try to wind it up it has no force unlike the other train's great wheel/wind up wheel. Sorry my terminology isn't very good, i'm just getting started on this project! I'm just currently very perplexed how to open this container...

The clock is a Franz Hermle 131 041

All the best!

IMG_2228[1].JPG

MeMpe

May 9, 2021
Country
Also if there is a blueprint or something similar for this mechanism that would help as well!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
MeM,

That's called the 'mainspring barrel'.

Just flip it over (cap side down) and while holding it securely, encircled with your thumb and forefinger, give the center sleeve a sharp wack with a small plastic or wooden mallet. The cap will pop off.

Willie X

Reactions: MeMpe

MeMpe

May 9, 2021
Country
Okay great!

That worked and i managed to reattach the spring!

Now there's just one more perplexing part..

So when i removed the springwheels the whole mechanism flew apart and there is this one piece which honestly i have no clue where it came from...
I think i can manage with the wheel trains, but i've got a feeling this part is also important! So thats pretty much why I wanted a schematic or something to help me with that, but any input might help.

All the best!

IMG_2242[1].JPG

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
That’s the click wheel. It goes on the front of the movement on the winding arbor that goes through the barrell you fixed. It has a clicker that is spring loaded and fits into the teeth of that click wheel. A retainer with a small screw goes over it to hold it in place.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The retainer might still be in place. In that case, just slip it into place. Look at the other winding arbors to see how it goes. Don't put it in upside down ;) Your winding arbor will go through it.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Those click wheels are often damaged and probably the root cause of your unhooked spring. And, they are on the back of the movement, against the back half plate.

The click wheel (ratchet wheel) simply fits on the square at the back of the winding arbor, no retainer, no set screw. You will have to carefully lift the clicks (ratchet pawls) as you guide the back half plate back on the clock. Willie X

BTW, whose spring barrell's are different, not interchangeable. The #32 goes on the time side.

Willie X

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country

MeMpe

May 9, 2021
Country
First of all, thanks a lot everyone!

Currently I see two possibilities and I think i can't really continue until the issue is solved.. First of all there were supposed to be two click wheels, but currently I only have one.. So either it flew to the floor somewhere when I opened the mechanism, or it broke before I even got the clock and it has been missing ever since.

I'll spend some time looking for it in the room, but in case I don't find it I guess i'll just have to order a new one?

All the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller