• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

How do I open this pocket watch?

D

DJDasher

Having had some very good luck in obtaining information on a family pocket watch, I thought that I'd try to do the same with a watch that has been in my wife's family for many years (it belonged to her grandfather). The problem is that I can't seem to figure our how to open it to get vital information!

The watch is a Hamilton with arabic lettering on the dial. It is gold colored (possibly gold plated). It winds at the crown. The time is set by pulling out the crown and turning. The entire edge of the watch is knurled. I can't figure out how to get this watch opened. It does'nt have any obvious "lets" for the insertion of prying devices to open the front glass or back plates.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dennis

D

DJDasher

Having had some very good luck in obtaining information on a family pocket watch, I thought that I'd try to do the same with a watch that has been in my wife's family for many years (it belonged to her grandfather). The problem is that I can't seem to figure our how to open it to get vital information!

The watch is a Hamilton with arabic lettering on the dial. It is gold colored (possibly gold plated). It winds at the crown. The time is set by pulling out the crown and turning. The entire edge of the watch is knurled. I can't figure out how to get this watch opened. It does'nt have any obvious "lets" for the insertion of prying devices to open the front glass or back plates.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dennis

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
It sounds like the back cover of the watch may unscrew. If this does not seem to work, a picture of the watch may help us figure it out.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It is also possible, but less likely, that the front cover unscrews and the movement swings up out of the case.

Tom McIntyre
NAWCC 2nd VP
Tommy the JOAT's Web

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
look for a seam, use a rubber cup and/or some liquid wrench if frozen!

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent