How do I identify this pocket watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by dpflynn41@gmail.com, Feb 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dpflynn41@gmail.com

dpflynn41@gmail.com New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Finaly retired just a couple of years ago.
    Howell, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have come across a size 18 pocket watch, on the inside it has Marun Watch Company and it has Springfield below it. Maruin or Maruin is how it is engraved inside the watch on the movement. This is different than Marian which I can ind. It is a late 1800 type movement. It has a serial number on the movement of 927038.
    When I first wound it it took right off and has continued to run as long as I keep it wound. The movement is closed and the balance wheel is mounted outside the movement with just the adjustment lever showing besides the balance wheel. The ceramic dial was broken in several places but it did have a flower design about 1/4 inch diameter in the center where the hour and minute hand come out, it does have a normal second hand spot on the bottom. It has no hands on it and whoever had it has made a photo copy of either the original dial or one like it then glued it over the broken ceramic one.
    I would love to restore this watch but do not know where to start as I don't know who made it. I have tried under Marian Watch Company and Springfield both with no luck. Is there anyone out there that has seen one or may know what it is I have ? Thanks, Dennis
    Marian Watch Co. cropped center.jpg MWC.jpg unknown watch face.jpg Maruim1.jpg Maruin workings1.jpg Maruin workings2.jpg
    I do not have any better photos and I hope this makes sense.

2. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dennis, have a look at "Marvin watch co":)

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome,Look for the ENCYCLOPEDIA heading in the mast head of the message board. It will take you to a vast storehouse of knowledge on all aspects of watch and clock collecting. Look for the SWISS FAKES heading. That is what yours is. Probably trying to masquerade as a Unites States Watch Co. (Marion) watch. Marion was located in New Jersey. To the best of my knowledge, there is no Springfield in New Jersey. So the Springfield marked on the movement might be a reference to the Illinois Watch Co., or possibly the Hampden (Dueber) Watch Co. of Springfield, Mass. Considering the massive task in front of you in restoring this watch, you might want to consider a more (ahem) worthy candidate for restoration.

As the the Marvin Springfield name, you might want to refer to a previous thread on this message board.

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?8485-Marvin-Watch-Co-Springfield

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug, there is a Springfield, NJ in Union County, I pass through there everyday, lots of car dealers and big box stores, no watch companies though.

5. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Springfield is a ubiquitous place name (like Newport or Sutton) throughout the world, not just in North America. Perfect choice to plonk onto a Swiss Fake.
    ...and the perfect place to use as the setting for a cartoon show about a stereotypical family and the stereotypical idiots they might encounter.
    The typeface used for it, is very Swiss Fake.
    The dial (what's left of it) looks much more European than American to me.

6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I like the birds on the regulator, and the owl.

Rob