How do i go about adjusting this ratfink?

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
This here is the music side of the Regula 701 I asked about a while back.

CWK DETAIL.jpg CWK ALL.jpg

In the pic, D is the operating cam on the main wheel, A and B are levers attached to arbor C.

A is the lever that pushes out the bird arm (actually the little-man arm).
B is the follower that rides on the cam. When at rest, it's in the notch of the cam. When the cam turns (going away from us), the follower rides up on the cam, which pushes lever A down and pokes out the little-man.

Here's the problem: looking at the other picture, you can see one blade of the fan resting against the little-man arm, which is at rest...not poked out.
While in that position, the arm blocks the fan from turning, and stops the train. So the cam doesn't turn far enough to poke the arm out and let the fan turn and let the train run to turn the cam...etc.

You see what I'm talking about. The fan can't turn until the arm pokes out. The arm can't poke out until the fan turns.

I yam totally puzzled as to what to adjust how, in order to make this ratfink work.

Can any of you help me? (He asked in his whiniest voice.)

HEY LAB!!! ARE YOU LISTENING?

bangster

Lynne Gillette

Aug 28, 2008
In a Tudor Cottage named Squirrelton
Country
Region
When the movement is installed in the case the little man will be attached to the door by the wire. This should provide clearance for the fan to rotatewhen released, allowing the little man to advance even further until he is in the proper position . The music will play it's alloted song and when completed the train will then lock. This will pull the man back into the case but there should still be clearance.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
When the movement is installed in the case the little man will be attached to the door by the wire. This should provide clearance for the fan to rotatewhen released, allowing the little man to advance even further until he is in the proper position . The music will play it's alloted song and when completed the train will then lock. This will pull the man back into the case but there should still be clearance.
GOOD THINKING, LASS! I shoulda thought of that. Hmm...makes it sort of hard to test on a stand outside the case, but I guess I can manage.

Many thanks.

bangster

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sorry, I"m a guy!!!!
Don't apologize for that :D

Sometimes, the man does double duty as a fan stop. He has to get half way out before the fan releases.

markd

Jan 3, 2009
Country
Region
It also looks like your fan blades are turned out too far. They are usually closer to a right angle to their base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre