how do I get the back off this thing ??

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Sagen Twist, Aug 24, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Sagen Twist

Sagen Twist Registered User

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Hi everybody I have no idea how to use this site so I hope this is the right place to ask this kinda of question but anyway..
    I recently found my mums broken pocket watch(it says Royceon the face), it is only a low quality modern knockoff from Taiwan or something but I think as I know practically nothing of horollogy what soever it may provide me with some basic knowledge on the workings of watches. I might even be able to fix it haha, doubtful as I can't even get the back off and that is my first question lies, anyone ?
    I have been looking at all the methods of closure but nothing works, it has to be either a snap off or a screw off? I'm resisting the urge to use a chisel and hammer it off haha thanks :)

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, they would help very much to get a idea as to what you have.

3. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    hey thanks for replying, this is probably somting really easy but I can't seem to upload the photos.
    I clicked the little insert images icon chose the images from my computer but "Upload File(s)" button doesn't respond or give me any sort of fail message ?

4. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to a fantastic message board!

You have to scale down the pictures. I usually open them in Paint and then do a save. The saved picture is usually up-loadable.

5. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
  6. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
  7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Graham, i have read the "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" guide and all i have achieved is to chip my thumb nails. :(
    The slit or lip or whatever it might be seems far too fine for a fingernail well, it is defiantly to stiff and there is no way I could get a butter knife in it to pry it open :S
    i thought it might have been a screw back but it is really jammed if it is.. Nothing i try seems to work haha might just be me, ideas anyone?

9. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired from computing, networking
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Assuming you do not have a case opener tool, do the following: take an xacto or single edged razor blade and 'carefully' insert the end of the blade where the case lid lip is located. Carefully turn the blade down toward the bottom hinge while keeping it in between the cover and case body. I use carefully to warn you for two reasons: 1. don't cut yourself and 2. don't scratch the case. I generally use the case opener tool and shy away from blades unless they are extremely tight such as yours. I then use the blade to get it to start opening, then switch to my tool to complete the job.

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

If you look at the case back next to where the front cover is joined on with its hinge, if the back is hinged you should be able to see the corresponding hinge joint. If there's no hinge joint visible the back isn't hinged, but I think that this is unlikely, looking at your pictures.

IMG_0215.jpg

The back joint is the one at the top of this picture; don't worry about the lower one on the right, as I grabbed the first watch to hand, (and it happens to be an open-face, so the other joint isn't immediately underneath, like your hunter case).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Graham

11. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    hey guys we have success!!! ok it is definitely a snap back. The weapon of choice IMG_0654.jpg Winchester hunting knife the only thing I could get enough force behind and it did take allot of force but it did the job without a scratch.
    Thanks guys! This is my first thread so i was overwhelmed with all the continuing help. Thanks again everybody!!

12. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

Well done! Now I'm sure we'd like to see what you found inside . . .

Regards,

Graham

13. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Ok sorry I don't have a good camera so the pictures are pretty bad.
    It says "17 jewels Swiss Made" right next to the winding wheel. That is all that is written except fore the some numbers on the back case "10 - 16 4" and what looks like a bigger 4 under that
    IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0658.jpg IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0661.jpg

14. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    have a look at the plate under the balance wheel, might be a stamp with something like ST 96 marked

15. Sagen Twist

Aug 24, 2012
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    I'm completely new at this so I don't have or know where to get watch work tools ? Does anyone know wheres is the best place for a beginner ?