Clock Help How do I find used equipment: setting up my new clock space

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Daniel West, Mar 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daniel West

Daniel West Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2018
    Male
    Dentist
    Lancaster County, PA
    Country Flag:
    Greetings, fellow clock/watch people. I am in the process of creating a work space for working on and repairing my antique clocks. I'm reading Steve Conover's book on Clock repair basics which has been very informative. When I total up the costs of the recommended equipment and supplies, however, it come to a couple thousand dollars. In your experiences, is here a way to locate used equipment or equipment for sale from a retiring clock person?
    Thanks for your input.
    Dan

2. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Opportunities happen. Not very often, but do happen.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You dont need any where that amount to get started in clock repair. Buying hand tools i think is the best move first. Learn how to use them. Then work up to other things you need, main spring winder. Drill press, lathe, bushing machine,ultrasonic cleaner . clock timer and so on.

4. Daniel West

Daniel West Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2018
    Male
    Dentist
    Lancaster County, PA
    Country Flag:
    What type of mainspring winder do you like? Conover's book suggest that I try out several before picking one. Where do you go to get that type experience?
    Dan

5. Thomas Sanguigni

Thomas Sanguigni Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Olie Baker or Joe Collins. They take your let down keys in a socket. This way you can use any size winding arbor. I have a Collins and a Webster (out of business). My Webster will not go over a size six key.

6. Randy Vaughn

Randy Vaughn Registered User

Apr 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I tried to buy a Ollie Baker, but they are on back order for over two months. I looked at a few videos on YouTube and built one for less than $60.00 and it works great. I have had no problems. Saved a ton of money.

IMG_0851.jpg

Dave T and fbicknel like this.
  7. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks great. Show us how it works?

8. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some time back, I created and saved some searches on Craigslist. I am notified by email if the search criteria is met. It took some time, but I have purchased two watchmaker lathes, a nice watchmaker bench, and a Sherline lathe over the last few years. I bought things off eBay, but I haven't seen any good deals there for some time. I have made some good purchases at the NAWCC regionals and have bought tools, clocks, and parts from local NAWCC chapter members.

fbicknel likes this.
  9. Randy Vaughn

Randy Vaughn Registered User

Apr 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag: