How do I adjust time on this movement

Stangs2

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2014
Old Sears clock again. Doing pretty good but I want to tell the owner how to adjust if necessary. I only see the + and - on the back but no screw, etc. See picture. TIA!!!

Sears Movement.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The spider spring on top can be moved toward the + or t he - side. There's very little adjustment there though.
Since this is not a value question, I'll move it to the clock repair forum.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I'm with RC. If the rate is off, just tell the custoer you will need to keep it a few weeks to adjust tje rate.

First thing, assuming the clock is fast by more than about 60 seconds per day, go ahead and move the adjuster (Bugs already mentioned) all the way to the -- . This trick will tell you if the rate CAN be adjusted.

Now, if it's fast for just seconds per day, nudge the adjustment finger a small amount to the -- each day until you get it close. Then, it will need to be adjusted weekly. Makeing very small adjustments at each weekly winding. + or -- one or two minutes per week is a reasonable target to shoot for.

Can't regulate it? = badly worn movement, back to what RC said. :) Willie X

Stangs2

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks guys! Ran 6 days without losing significant time then lost a couple mins per day until it ran down on day 7. Think I'll tell the cust to just wind it every 5 days or so. Great weekend to all!!

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Thanks guys! Ran 6 days without losing significant time then lost a couple mins per day until it ran down on day 7. Think I'll tell the cust to just wind it every 5 days or so. Great weekend to all!!
You may get away for awhile with winding every 5 days but this is an 8-day clock which should at least run 9 or 10 days if it is really healthy. If it is completely down at 7 days you are only getting 70% performance. These are noted for issues caused by general wear through out the movement and in several places in particular. The expected useful life is something like 25 to 30 years depending on how the clock has been cared for. I expect that you will be seeing this one back before many more months.

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmitry Mor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry