how can I slow clock that runs too fast?

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Whidbey Island, WA. U.S.A.
Country
Region
I have been working on a Gilbert tambour mantle clock time and strike I took in trade for some much needed dental work. This has been the clock from you know where. It has not run for three decades, everything was either bent, broken or just generally mucked up from being neglected all of this time. after much coaxing and plenty of colorful metaphors it is back in running order. now this cotton picker gains and hour and a half or so each day, (perhaps trying to catch up for lost time). even after turning the gadget that is suppose to slow it down as far as allowable it still runs fast. there is no room to drop the bob any farther without it hitting either the bottom of the case or the point where the hammers pivot just above the chime rods. I know someone is going to say send pictures, but the camera used for this purpose is MIA. any suggestions would be helpful.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,
If I understand correctly, you adjusted the nut that pushes up or lowers the pendulum bob. Does this clock have a double ended key? If so, the smaller end fits into a very small winding hole which has S for slow on one side of it and F for fast on the other. So to adjust the clock's speed, turn the key, in this case, toward the S for slow and it should run slower, or vice versa if you need it to go faster. All this, of course is an assumption as we do not have pictures.
Regards.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Since the bob is as low as it can physically go without hitting the case,I would say it is either skipping one of the teeth on the escape wheel, or is not the correct movement for the case.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved this to the Clock Repair forum, where it more correctly fits.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
How much total swing does the pendulum have when it is running? Can you provide the thickness of the suspension spring? Is the clock " in beat"? Is the time error always the same every 24 hours or does the error change at random?

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
I'm not sure how to measure total swing accurately. the thickness of the suspension spring is 0.10mm X 35.92mm long X 6.33mm Wide. over all length of pendulum rod including suspension from the top of the suspension spring to the crook at the end of the pendulum rod is 124.31mm with an additional 52.27mm when the bob is properly hung. as far as the beat is concerned Ill have to record that in the next 24 to 48 hour. I tried to upload some photos but to no avail keep getting error message that file is too large 2.25MB. I don't get it.

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
ticktocktime100, I had already turned the mechanism that regulated the speed to as far as allowable in the direction of the S. I have tried for the last 2 hours to upload some photos using the instructions set forth from the tech crew at NAWCC but I keep getting an error as the file is to large. 2.25MB confound it I'm getting kind of frustrated.

Solo Deo Gloria

GregS

Sep 4, 2008
Machesney Park, Illinois
Country
Region
Popi,

The image size is restricted to 1000 pixels. Use your favorite graphics program and re-size the images so that the largest leg (either height or width) is no bigger than 1000.

For example if your 2.25 MB picture is 4320 x 3240 pixels (w x h), re-size it to 1000 x 750. You should have no trouble uploading after that.

HTH! :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I usually make the smallest dimension 2900 and it will upload fine (but the MB software may reduce them too). Anyway, I've seen Gilberts with the bob running below the strike rods, actually through them as it swings. Is it possible for that to happen on your clock? The suspension spring seems thin enough, so unless someone switched the movement in the case, you should be able to get it timed. Another possibility, of course, is that it's skipping teeth on the EW. Check that possibility out too.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
With that much gain, my guess is skipping teeth. A good audio might tell something.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Well, a longer pendulum rod should slow it down. It appears there is lots of room still under the pendulum to drop it down further.

Patch

May 11, 2010
Country
Region
Popi, I have the same movement sitting on a shelf, above the TV. On mine, the suspension rod, is over a half inch longer. The size of the spring steel: .004" I used Timesavers#:19577.
To accommodate the tight space between the pendulum bob, the chime rods, and the back wall of the case, I swiveled the chime rod block, toward the front of, the case.
As long as your verge isn't skipping escapewheel teeth, you should be able to bring it into, regulation.
When Linda gets home, tonight; I'll have her post a few pictures.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have that movement on my test stand right now, and it's swinging between 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than yours. Somewhere in the past the suspension spring must have broken, and they just re-hooked it higher.

Looks like Patch and I were typing at the same time :)

Patch

May 11, 2010
Country
Region
:)Happy New Year! Folks!!
I have that movement on my test stand right now, and it's swinging between 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than yours. Somewhere in the past the suspension spring must have broken, and they just re-hooked it higher.

Looks like Patch and I were typing at the same time :)

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Just to test.

You might want to add an “S” hanger wire between the pendulum leader and the pendulum bob. Did someone say paperclip? That may give you an idea of how much longer a new suspension rod should be.

That may not be a good fix, but a step in the right direction.

Best,

Dick

George Kinne

Oct 21, 2013
East Harford ct.
Country
This is the old clock shop , in East Hartford CT. The escapement mechanism , is worn , so it will not mesh with the teeth correctly . Change the escapement , and it will work .

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
This is the old clock shop , in East Hartford CT. The escapement mechanism , is worn , so it will not mesh with the teeth correctly . Change the escapement , and it will work .
But if the pendulum rod is not long enough, it still won't keep time:whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff