How Accurate Are New Clocks

tomwoodworker

Jun 18, 2021
Country
A year ago I purchased a new Howard Miller wall clock. I've been unable to get it to be under one minute per week in a gain or loss. The movement is a Kieninger.

Is one minute per week about normal?

If so, how much more accurate would a new HM weight driven grandfather clock be? Would 1/2 a minute gain or loss be expected due to it being weight driven?

Thank you, Tom.

Ps. (A friend said Kieninger ceased operations last winter. Is this correct?)

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i prefer weight-driven clocks for this reason.... the power is even over the (in most cases) eight-day run times.

i have 50 or so clocks running in my house, almost all weight driven, from banjo clocks to large wall clocks to gf clocks.... they are typically within 5-30 seconds or so every week when i wind and regulate them... and most toward the smaller number.

tomwoodworker

Jun 18, 2021
Country
Thanks, Bruce. How does a floating balance movement compare to a weight driven movement? Is it as accurate or less so? Thanks, Tom.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
not my thing... but there's still a mainspring, yes?

tomwoodworker

Jun 18, 2021
Country
Yes, there's still the main spring. Did I use the wrong term 'floating balance'? Is balance wheel more proper?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
again, these clocks are not in my sweet spot... but from what i've read they're pretty accurate IF serviced and set up correctly. on the other hand, a weight-driven movement applies consistent power... which removes multiple variables from the equation.

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
A year ago I purchased a new Howard Miller wall clock. I've been unable to get it to be under one minute per week in a gain or loss. The movement is a Kieninger.
Tom -
Some suggestions...
► I'm currently working on a floating balance type movement and find the beat hard to set by electronic means because it's issuing more sounds than a simple "tick tock". But the floating balance is quite accurate, and overcomes a lot of the technical issues of a pendulum. So once set, you should be good.
Bruce is right. At the end of each week, you can move the adjuster by 1/2mm, reset the time and test for another week. Adjustment is not as easy as with a pendulum, but it is effective. Eventually you should get there. Every clock has to adjust to your home's average temp and humidity.
► As a last resort... modern wind-up clock sales are so slow, the clock might be suffering from simple "shelf wear". That is to say, the time between manufacture and making it to your home could be years, which may necessitate a minor service. Your clock dealer should be able to service your movement under warranty.

Hope this helps.

tomwoodworker

Jun 18, 2021
Country
Many thanks to both of you. I have a Hermle 1050-020 balance wheel movement that says on the back 'Two Jewels; Unadjusted'. What is meant by 'unadjusted'?

If a beat amplifier were to be used on it are there adjustments that could be made to it if it were off (it is!)? If so, how difficult would it be to make the adjustments?

Thanks again, Tom

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
If a beat amplifier were to be used on it are there adjustments that could be made to it if it were off (it is!)? If so, how difficult would it be to make the adjustments?
Tom -
The plate should be marked with + and - signs indicating which way to move the adjuster to increase or slow the beat. If you'll lay your finger on the balance wheel and stop it, you'l see a single pointer arm on top, resting on (or about) the row of small holes. Move that pointer arm in the desired direction. The arm has an adjustment range in the 20 BPH range (about 45 degrees of movement). Any more than ~20 and the weight of the balance wheel has to be changed.

The pointer arm is easily pushed L or R with small metal implement. Once you have movement access, it takes about 5 seconds. But work carefully. The balance wheel is suspended on a very thin strand of piano wire.

If you have a "smart phone" you can download an app called "Clock Tuner" and that will get you close to the beat.

tomwoodworker

Jun 18, 2021
Country
Thank you, Chris. I'm enjoying your videos. Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PMcGinty
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit