hour and minute hands not moving

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by kc092755, Nov 22, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kc092755

kc092755 Guest

Hi all,
    I have two vintage Felsa movement watch(with date), they both have the same problem, when the date start to change (around 10:30 pm), the hour and minute hands stop moving, only the second hand clicking. I have to manual set time past 12pm (date complete changed) then the hour and minute hands moving normally.
    Could someone tell me what is the problem?
    Thanx!
    Kevin

2. mrbill

mrbill Registered User

Jun 5, 2006
    They are probably "indirect drive" meaning that the regular cannon pinion just sits on the center post with out any tension.
    If so, the"notched" set wheel pinion doesn't have any tension on it. What Calibre Felsa movement? can look it up to tell you.
    If they're not indirect drive you just need to tighten the cannon pinion.

mrwatchmaker@yahoo.com

3. kc092755

kc092755 Guest

Hi mrbill,
    They are Felsa cal.4002, could you look it up for me? what kind of tool should I use to tighten the cannon pinion?
    Thanx!

4. mrbill

mrbill Registered User

Jun 5, 2006
    From what I can see on the Bestfit books this is a standard cannon pinion.
    You will have to remove dial and hands,the hour wheel should be free to lift off exposing the cannon pinion.
    Remove the cannon pinion, I usually run a broach through the cannon pinion so that when I tighten it there is less of a chance to tighten it too much.
    Run the broach through the pinion, I use "peer vigor" type "D" cutters to tighten the cannon pinions. Look closely for where the cannon pinion had originally been tightened or adjusted, place the "D" cutter in the same position, with the broach installed through the cannon pinion. Now give it a little squeeze. Not too much, still has to be free enough to set the time. Re-install the cannon pinion only and try setting the hands, if it feels tight enough re-assemble the rest of the stuff.

5. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you get it too tight don't try to force it on, just ream it out with a cutting broach. The broach MrBill suggested for inserting in the pinion prior to crimping it should also be a cutting broach, with one of the flat sides resting under where you want to crimp the pinion (it allows a small amount of space for the side of the pinion to collapse into).

6. kc092755

kc092755 Guest

Hi mrbill & Smudgy,
    Problem solved.
    Thanks a lot.