Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco Clock 1900's

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Hello, I have a clock from around the 1900's that belonged to my Great Grandfather Henry J. Becker. The hand written note from my Grandfather stated that Harry chewed Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco, he saved the tin horseshoes from the back of the plugs and sent them in with $3.50 to get this clock.
Does anyone have a clock like this or any information about these clocks:???:

Cheers,
Renée
Horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 6.jpg Note from Harry Nelson re Horseshoe Chew Clock #1.jpg Note from Harry Nelson re Horseshoe Chew Clock #2.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 3.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 2.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 5.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 4.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer 1.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 3.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 2.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 5.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 4.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer 1.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 3.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 2.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 5.jpg horse shoe plug tobacco clock pics 4.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer.jpg Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco flyer 1.jpg

Reactions: S_Owsley

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's certainly possible, quite a number of clocks were given away as 'premiums' by various US companies. Whether Horse Shoe Plug tobacco (Diamond Tobacco Co.) was one of them I can't say, but there will be others along shortly who will probably know.

I don't think the dial on your clock is original.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Following is a link to an interesting monograph that I found in Google Books. Horseshoe Plug is discussed beginning at the bottom of page 32.

The Premium System of Forcing Sales: Its Principles, Laws and Uses - Henry Stanhope Bunting - Google Books

Your particular clock was made by the New Haven Clock Co. and is Model C of their Patrol Line. It is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks from the 1900 catalogue, though it could have been offered a few years either side of that year. The very top part if the crest seems to have been broken off.

I agree with JTD about companies offering premiums. I can't say I have heard of this one before, however.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hello, I have a clock from around the 1900's that belonged to my Great Grandfather Henry J. Becker. The hand written note from my Grandfather stated that Harry chewed Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco, he saved the tin horseshoes from the back of the plugs and sent them in with $3.50 to get this clock.

Cheers,
Renée
View attachment 640976 View attachment 640977 View attachment 640978 View attachment 640964 View attachment 640965 View attachment 640966 View attachment 640967 View attachment 640968 View attachment 640969 View attachment 640970 View attachment 640964 View attachment 640965 View attachment 640966 View attachment 640967 View attachment 640968 View attachment 640969 View attachment 640970 View attachment 640964 View attachment 640965 View attachment 640966 View attachment 640967 View attachment 640968 View attachment 640969 View attachment 640970
Certainly possible but there is nothing about the clock per se to suggest it.

Companies sometimes published catalogs or flyers of the premiums available. Try searching for one by this company.

The company that I know best for their premiums was the Larkin Soap Co. of Buffalo, NY. Their premiums included furniture, and good stuff, too! I owned an oak leaded glass door book case with slag glass highlights that was one of their give aways.

RM

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region

Cheers,
Renée
What a great family clock and story, Renee. You are fortunate to have the documentation and history. Although I haven't seen any catalogs or premium lists for Horse-shoe Plug Tobacco, many companies used clocks and watches as premiums. Some were free with a purchase while others required submitting a certain number of coupons, tobacco tags, etc. For some, cash was required in addition to the coupons, tags, wrappers. You might be able to find something on ebay that will provide additional insight. Good luck in your search.

As RM said, Larkin Soap was one of the largest premium catalog. At one time, Larkin used Seth Thomas black mantle clocks as premiums. Over the years, they added other makes and models.

As far as tobacco companies, according to an article in the The Timepiece Journal, American Tobacco Company and R.J. Reynolds were two of Ingraham's big tobacco accounts for clocks to be used as premiums. The Adrian (black mantel) and Gila (hanging oak clock with thermometer and barometer) were used. I've not seen similar specific models named for other clockmakers.

United Cigar catalogs also featured many clocks and watches.

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
JTD, when you say the 'dial' are you referring to the face of the clock?

And Steven, I'll be damned but your right, the top of the crest is broken off. I can't believe I didn't notice that before, I'm usually quite observant. Go figure.

I'm going to see if I can record the "chiming" of this clock and attach it to this thread...it's kind of like hitting a shallow tin pan with a screw driver

Cheers, Renée

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
JTD, when you say the 'dial' are you referring to the face of the clock?
Yes. I think that a replacement paper dial has been stuck on. The original might be underneath.

As for the sound of the strike (your clock doesn't chime), these clocks were never the most melodious, but you can improve the sound by gently adjusting he hammer (bend the wire carefully) so that it hits the gong at the point where the sound is best.

I see in the photo that it almost appears that the part of the gong coil nearest the mounting block may be touching the first coil. It may be just the camera angle, but none of the coils should touch each other, so if it is so, bend it slightly so that it is free. But, as I say, it may just be the camera angle.

JTD

Last edited:

Old Rivers

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2016
North Texas
Country
Region
Certainly possible but there is nothing about the clock per se to suggest it.

Companies sometimes published catalogs or flyers of the premiums available. Try searching for one by this company.

The company that I know best for their premiums was the Larkin Soap Co. of Buffalo, NY. Their premiums included furniture, and good stuff, too! I owned an oak leaded glass door book case with slag glass highlights that was one of their give aways.

RM
Here's my Larkin Soap premium clock

Bill

ST Larkin Soap.jpg

Reactions: S_Owsley and PatH

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Bill, I love the Dial

Thanks everyone for helping me figure out the mystery of my Great Grandfathers Clock.

BTW- Does anyone know if video can be attached?

Cheers, Renée

Cheezhead

Dec 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Country
Region
You can attach a video with sound for no cost with a link to YouTube; worked for me. You need a free Gmail account to log on YouTube as Google owns Gmail and YouTube. If no movement to show, just aim your camera with video and sound at the clock. It's been long since I did this once and so I don't recall the procedure.

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Yes. I think that a replacement paper dial has been stuck on. The original might be underneath.

As for the sound of the strike (your clock doesn't chime), these clocks were never the most melodious, but you can improve the sound by gently adjusting he hammer (bend the wire carefully) so that it hits the gong at the point where the sound is best.

I see in the photo that it almost appears that the part of the gong coil nearest the mounting block may be touching the first coil. It may be just the camera angle, but none of the coils should touch each other, so if it is so, bend it slightly so that it is free. But, as I say, it may just be the camera angle.

JTD

JTD,

FYI- I checked and there isn't an additional dial under the one that is on the clock now.

Cheers,
Renée

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
OK, so if I did it correctly... here is the link for the relaxing sound produced by my Great Grandfather's Horseshoe Plug Tobacco Clock:

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Looks like an Inghrahm gingerbread clock- aka. The Kitchen clock, I don’t think the dial is original, also. Very nice example, i would say it’s from the 1910’s and who is the letter written by?, i see it says “he was Mom’s Dad”.

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Looks like an Inghrahm gingerbread clock- aka. The Kitchen clock, I don’t think the dial is original, also. Very nice example, i would say it’s from the 1910’s and who is the letter written by?, i see it says “he was Mom’s Dad”.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region

JTD
I think that the gong has come loose of its base at some time and has been re-mounted incorrectly. Loosen the screw that holds the gong to its base and turn the gong spiral about 90 degrees counter clockwise. The hammer needs to hit the short, straight part of the gong, close to the base. In the picture one can even see a little bright mark on the gong where the hammer used to hit in the correct position. In rest, the hammer should be about a quarter inch away from the gong. You can bend the hammer rod as needed. With a little trial and error the sound should be much better, even though these gongs never sound great.

Uhralt

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Hello,
The letter was hand written by my paternal grandfather to my Father.
Funny thing about my Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco Clock... Mike Korn "The Clock Fixer", also a member of NAWCC, here in Denver came over to repair the clocks I've mentioned in my 4 different enquiries on NAWCC and well not only is the Kitchen Clock's dial not original, but neither is the mechanical movements (see pic). Someone, maybe my grandfather, sanded and stained the top (pic) where a piece had broken off then put a lacquer on the outer casing. BUT the glass is original, so it has that going for it. It works great & I really love this clock.
Cheers, Renee

20210320_120325.jpg 20210320_121706.jpg

XTCFIT

Feb 25, 2021
Country
Uhrlat,
Just to confirm: When you are pointing out the gong position, are you referring to the spiral metal??

I tried moving the gong, but it doesn't seem to fit the "striker thing" now.

As a result of moving the gong, the striker is now at the top of the spiral ring instead of by the straight piece. What do you think?
Cheers, Renee

20210331_154026.jpg 20210331_154450.jpg 20210331_154604.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doryc11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff