Horovolar is for sale.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Chris Nimon's kids have been operating Horolovar since his death last year. If you called the firm you would have talked with Lori, his daughter. Her brother is David, and at present they're employing John Gordon, who worked with Chris from the beginning, knows every part of every clock, and can coax 270 degrees of rotation from a Westclox alarm clock. The kids have their own lives and aren't particularly enthralled with clocks in general or torsion clocks in particular, but John would like to stay with the business.

Both the building and the business are paid for and could be dealt with separately. John's family lives here in Lancaster, but perhaps he wouldn't mind relocating. I believe he is a widower; I typically don't ask personal questions, but he and Natalie have become friends, and he's always liked me. Essentially anyone who wants to operate Horolovar would need Mr Gordon's services for management, customer relations, and repair skills. His integrity, intelligence, and dedication are without question. There are and were no other employees.

Lancaster, Ohio (not Pennsylvania)is a post-industrial town of 40,000 about 35 miles southeast of Columbus, Ohio. The building seems to be a sound industrial sort of place well suited to the business: I think it might have been a substantial sheet-metal operation at one time.

The estate is currently being settled, or may be settled already. I don't have any sort of a valuation on the name, goodwill, and inventory; presumably I'll find out. My guess, which may be wrong by orders of magnitude one way or the other, is $100,000 or perhaps less. I don't know what the building is worth. There are many, many parts, hundreds of parts anniversary clocks of every age, a bunch of stuff related to those crazy clocks that wind and then unwind a string around posts, and some specialized punch presses, brakes, shears, and suspension-spring-making machines. Mr Gordon has been stamping out suspension blocks and forks for years now. There is also a stack of Terwilliger books.

Excuses, etc:

Moderators: please accept my apologies if this post is inappropriate. Perhaps it might be posted in Clocks-General.

Everyone else: I've never sold anything, and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. My interest is solely that Mr Gordon is a friend, and I seem to be the only link between Horolovar and the larger world of clock repair.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
See if you can talk John into purchasing the business. If the kids don't want it, maybe they'd be willing to contract with him for payments, rather than a bank. Lots of potential there for many years yet.

Reactions: roughbarked

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I made a purchase a little over a week ago from Horolovar for a Kundo 400 day clock. Lori took the order and she asked John a couple of questions to make sure I got the right parts. The shipment was fast and the parts were correct. I sure hope the concern is able to continue in operation.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I just heard a rumor that a person in Oregon was buying the company. That they are intending to sell the springs and probably dispose of the rest of the inventory.

Eric

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I just heard a rumor that a person in Oregon was buying the company. That they are intending to sell the springs and probably dispose of the rest of the inventory.

Eric
Hmm. Nobody's told me, but I suppose I'm not entirely in the loop.

Mark Kinsler

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I had discussed with Mark, briefly and in very general terms via PM, the possibility of interested forum members banding together to buy Horolovar, keeping on John full time, and operating it along the lines of a co-op. If we can get 100 members to pitch in, it seems like we could raise enough money depending upon interest. Something along these lines...

1. A non-refundable buy-in fee, dependent upon the number of people interested and the cost to buy Horolovar. I have no idea what the purchase price for Horolovar would be, but the buy-in would equal whatever that is divided by the number of forum members interested and able.

2. A yearly maintenance "fee" assessed to each member of the co-op. This would equal yearly operating costs of the business, including John's salary, subtracted from the revenue received, with the difference divided by the number of members.

Members, in return, would receive (significant?) discounts on all available parts. Parts would still be sold to general public at the usual retail prices.

SOMETHING like that. Full disclosure -- I am nobody, with no experience in the business world (other than as a performing musician) very little experience in the clock world, nor am I a lawyer nor have I ever set up a co-op. I also have no formal, in-person relationship with Mark (our sole communications have been through a couple IMs) nor knowledge of Horolovar other than a brief email correspondence re/ parts with Chris prior to his passing. My interest in this is purely sentimental... I hate to see a valued company that provided a wonderful, caring service to a small niche group of aficionados go under or change drastically. If we want it to be saved, who better to save it than us?

AND.. if not us as a forum membership, why not the NAWCC? If you look at the HUGE list of new members on the sidebar of this forum for seven days past, the focus on revenue placed by the board..... would not an NAWCC ownership of Horolovar fit the organization's mission?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It would be a shame if someone buys the property for another purpose and dumps the inventory. That would put an end to the Horolovar specs in the 400 day book. Maybe there's a formula to convert to the other material (Mylar? Nylar? Something )

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have heard that the Oregon company has already purchased the suspension spring side of the business. I was unaware (or didn't put it together) that the main springs are not a Horolovar part, just has their label on them. I believe Chris was sourcing springs in Germany and India. But there are other sources for main springs as there are so many more spring-driven clocks besides 400-day clocks. That would leave the inventory of parts clocks, etc.

I believe Bill Ellison still owns the copyright to the repair guide, but he had given Chris the rights to continue to sell them.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Thanks. I've had other responses, all of which shall remain confidential because that's how we sophisticated business brokers operate whether we know what we're doing or not. Whatever happens, I hope it's for the best for everybody. All I've done is supply David Nimon's telephone number, which is 740-407-8653.

Mark Kinsler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff