• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Horolovar Spring Winder Instructions

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Hello,

I was given a Horolovar Spring Winder but no instructions. I found a post from about five years ago with the same question, but it did not turn up the original instructions. I would really appreciate if someone had these and could scan them. I was curious if anyone knew how these compare with a Webster or Keystone spring winder and which works better or better for particular situations.

Thanks,
Stan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think it is impractical for barreled springs. The solid part under the crank has to be secured in a bench vise. The little tab with the 90° bend holds the loop end of the spring and you have several arbor sizes to choose from. It looks a little clumsy to use, but would get the job done. The downside appears to be that you can't use the great wheel in it. You would have to wind up and secure the spring with a clamp or wire and then transfer it to the great wheel.

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Since this is a Horolovar Spring Winder, I would assume it was meant to be used with 400 Day Clocks, which to my knowledge all have barreled springs, so the comment that this winder is impractical for barreled springs seems puzzling.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I've been watching this to see how that winder is actually supposed to work but just from the looks of it I'm thinking Shutterbug has it correct. I ended up making one that suits my needs. I don't use hooks to hold the end of the spring, I use the safety wire because its very thin and just cannot come loose. Wrap a rag or folded paper towel around the barrell's before clamping them down.

20201226_133320.jpg

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Shall I assume that since Horolovar is selling the Keystone winder and no longer the one pictured above, that the Keystone (which I recently acquired) is preferred and the Horolovar (which I was given) should be left on the shelf? I have not had the opportunity to try the Horolovar yet, but the Webster I had (similar to the Keystone) had always worked fine for barreled mainsprings, so assume the Keystone should also.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Stan,

Horolovar's winder is only for putting a spring into the barrel. There isn't much to it. I have an old Horolovar catalog that has a picture of how to use it. I can try to scan that page for you if you want.

Eric

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Eric,
That would be great. I was able to find someone's description of how they use it, which was better than nothing. The catalog scan would be very useful. Thank you.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I guess that makes sense. Since there's no practical way to use it with capture rings, it's usefulness for removing a spring is almost non-existent. I think it's one of those items best used as a conversation piece rather than an actual tool for the shop. It's interesting though, and probably designed for encouraging the purchase of new springs. Who knows? It may have inspired the Webster winder :)

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Because Horolovar suggested simply pushing their new springs into the barrel and letting the retainer slip off, I don't think Charles would have gone to the trouble of creating the tool for putting in replacement springs. I once bought a stock of new and used mainsprings that all needed to be cleaned, oiled, measured, wound & bound and cataloged. The Horolovar winder made the job a breeze.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's interesting, Martin. As a winder for that purpose it would work just fine. You might get by with pushing a weak spring like the 400 day springs into a barrel, but I don't think it's a good idea to try that approach on a bigger clock. New springs are usually not lubed. They typically have a gooey rust inhibitor on them that might look like grease. So letting them down, cleaning and greasing is a necessity. Perhaps that's what he had in mind when designing the winder.

Jimeuclid

Dec 9, 2020
Country
Hello,

I was given a Horolovar Spring Winder but no instructions. I found a post from about five years ago with the same question, but it did not turn up the original instructions. I would really appreciate if someone had these and could scan them. I was curious if anyone knew how these compare with a Webster or Keystone spring winder and which works better or better for particular situations.

Thanks,
Stan
Attached you will find a copy of the instruction that came with my Horolovar 400 Day Clock Mainspring Winder. I can't say enough bad things about it. Although the instructions suggest you can install a spring in a barrel whether it be clockwise or counterclockwise, they only give you one hook to t secure the tail. I will also attach a a picture of the mirror image hook I had to make this morning to correct this. Other than that, it is cumbersome and really only works for a spring in a barrel. Even the ratchet/pawl situation is useless. Good luck, I'll stick with my Ollie Baker (which I loaned out and don't have it back yet). DSC03656.JPG DSC03658.JPG

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I wonder how he suggested getting the old spring out of the barrel? I don't see how the winder could do that part of the job.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
99 percent of anniversary clock barrels wind the same direction. The instructions do give clear instructions for the rare Kienzle spring insertion. The tool was never meant to remove springs. I did use it a couple of times to do this but it is neither advised nor what most of us would consider a safe practice. Transferring the outer hole from the barrel hook to the tool's hook is possible but, sketchy.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
I wonder how he suggested getting the old spring out of the barrel?
Hi Shut. I haven't seen this type before but it looks like a variarion or simplification of the traditional english type which requires confidence, bravery and gloves to insert springs (And remove them) In summary the spring is wound up, the end held by a clear attached to the winder itself or a pair of long nose pliers. The barrel is put over the spring , the end hooked over the catch and the winder wound down! !! To see this done better than I describe, there is a video from the BHI southern group where this is done by someone who has obviously done it any times. I will see if I can find it if you want.
David

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sure. It would be interesting to see :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wow, that makes me cringe! The modern winders are so much safer than that. Although it does show that springs are not as powerful as you would think. It's when they whip around uncontrolled that injury happens.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Ever notice how the hole in the end of the spring looks very much like the holes in a cheese grater? It doesn't take much deformation to get the exact same configuration. I'll be keeping my hands clear, thank you.

Reactions: whatgoesaround