Horolovar plato novelty clock

ace

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2005
I have a Horolovar plato novelty clock that stopped working and need to disassemble. I need a little guidence in the process in taking this clock apart. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ace - can you supply a picture?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The original Plato "ticket" clocks were made by Ansonia in four different case styles.
About seventy years later, the late Charlie Terwilliger (Horolovar) had the Plato clock reproduced in Germany.

I've not seen an original and never owned one of the reproduction versions but those I've seen at NAWCC Marts were either not working too well or were partly disassembled.

An interesting novelty timepiece. Doubtful that repair parts are available today except salvage from a donor. 'Shouldn't be too difficult to repair the timepiece but holding all the tickets in place during reassembly might be a challenge for one with only two hands.:eek:

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
OK, I'm with you now :) This clock comes apart at the bottom, and you can repair the mechanism without disturbing the center post or the numbers. In fact, don't even think of messing with those parts because getting it synchronized again is a ROYAL pan in the butt! If memory serves, there is a plate on the bottom that you can remove with a couple of nuts or screws, and after that's accomplished you'll see how to proceed. What exactly are the issues? Often, it's that the numbers don't "flip". Enlighten us :)

Ken M.

Jun 17, 2003
Northridge CA
www.TheTicTocShop.com
Country
I have one of the original Ansonia Plato clocks and the Horolover German made version. Both run fine but the Horolover keeps very good time, much better than the Ansonia.

I haven't taken either apart for some time, but as I remember, there are two small screws in the bottom that hold the movement on. There are also three stand off type screws that will remove the bottom skirt as well as the movement. This can be a little risky because it leaves the cards and motion works exposed, and as Shutterbug said, you really don't want to upset that assembly.

I would work with it upside down to prevent misshapes. (And keep it upside down while you work on the movement) The movement is a seven jewel balance wheel escapement. A little on the delicate side for clock repair people.

Good luck, Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre