Horology in art

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by doug sinclair, Nov 30, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 doug sinclair, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    There is a recurring article in the NAWCC Bulletin concerning Horology in Art. How about we start a thread on the MB concerning the same topic. Here is a favorite of mine. I went to a farm auction a number of years ago, when I heard that there was to be a grouping of watch repair tools offered. There was nothing there that I was in need of, but there was an unused calendar from a (now defunct) local watch material supplier that I bid on, and won. The calendar was still in its original brown kraft mailing envelope, and is from the year I was born (1940). The painting is by an English artist, Charles Spencelayh. His work is shown at the Tate Gallery in London, England. I have had this picture reproduced numerous times, and given them to members of the watch fraternity, locally. Examples of his work (including the subject picture) may be seen at:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=charles+spencelayh+paintings&rlz=1C2FLDB_enCA530CA530&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xz2aUpqMDsP2oASelYGQBw&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=676#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=j4uAd5vqWTDMJM%3A%3BRQ49jIkI3wMviM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F4.bp.blogspot.com%252F_dLSVgS5AxBI%252FS7hoiazUeXI%252FAAAAAAAAp6U%252FFfdX8_2Cb0s%252Fs400%252FPerplexed_Spencelayh.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fartesehumordemulher.wordpress.com%252Fpinturas-de-charles-spencelayh-2%252F%3B400%3B316

watchmaker 001.jpg

2. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a Norman Rockwell painting I like, as well. I was inclined to post a link to it, but I was uncertain that would be proper as it is copyright protected. The statement " fair use" shows with the image, so it might be okay. But just in case! If interested, Google Norman Rockwell " Watchmaker of Switzerland" painting.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Posting a link should constitute no problem.

4. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love that picture, Doug, brings back memories when you could take some broken item, a watch, bike, etc, down to the local repairman and he would tinker with it while you waited to see if it was an easy fix. It seems that level of one on one is a dying art these days. My poor little Timex spen more time in the oven due to fishing than the fish did.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My wife bought this copy of a painting at the ESR last summer. There is no indication of who the artist is. Looks like a Colonial clock repairman working out of his home. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Off the top of my head, my 2 favorites.

29.jpg

The Country Wedding, by John Lewis Krimmel. He was a wonderful American genre painter of the early 19th century. Note the broken arch cased tall clock. Also includes other areas of interest for me. Note the 2 silhouettes of a couple over the mantel, the country furniture, Windsors, etc.

30.jpg

The Quilting Frolic by the same artist. Note, it's almost the same house (few changes). Appears to be the same couple and other people? The same clock appears to have been moved to the other side of the room. Same silhouettes.

If memory serves me correctly, that clock has been identified and still exists. I may be confused on that last point.

RM

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yet another painting with a horological element that comes to mind.

"Taking the Census" by another wonderful American genre painter, Francis William Edmonds.

35.jpg

This painting was probably painted about 1854, 30-40 years after the previous Krimmels.

There's much symbolism here. But just focusing on the clock, for now.

Note the ogee prominently displayed on the mantle. If you look closely, it has a reverse painted scene of a cottage. Probably much like the place where it's housed.

In about a generation, we go from a bespoken tall case to a mass produced clock. The ubiquitous, practical, durable and attractive ogee. And so affordable, even a simple farmer living in a humble cottage can have one.

Thank you Mr. Jerome. Maybe even one of his products?

RM

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice picture, RM. I've been reading Chauncey Jerome's book (again) recently, and he certainly deserves much respect for his place in American horological history.

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #10 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    I second that about Jerome.

Let's not forget his brother Noble, too.

They represent a brilliance in simple durable solutions!

My iPhone won't function as it was intended in 100 years. With proper care, their ogees still do.

RM

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Images of clocks and timepieces are well known in other forms of American folk art.

Fraktur is both a style of lettering and refers to the wonderful illuminated documents created by German immigrants to rural Pennsylvania and surrounding areas in the 18th and 19th centuries.

These documents may commemorate personal events, eg, births, baptisms and marriages. They were also used to convey spiritual messages, for instruction, etc.

Clocks and clock faces were depicted and often incorporated into the design as the following examples demonstrate. Note that in the earlier one, the timepiece depicted has one hand as might be expected!

43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg
    46.jpg

RM

4thdimension likes this.
  12. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Ok, don't want those watch people to feel left out of this.

Sorry, not going to post the expected "Persistence of Time and Memory" which has almost become cliché at this point for this purpose. Alright, here's a version I will post:

50.jpg

Instead, another work by another 19th century American artist, John Adams Elder.

He painted genre scenes, landscapes, battle scenes and portraits. Quite the range? He also painted portraits. He served in the Confederate Army. His portraits include people like Lee.

This painting is called "Mother's Watch".

51.jpg

RM

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Another painting with a horological theme just came to mind. Why it did I don't know.

magritte-time-transfixed.jpg

This painting is titled "Time Transfixed" and was created by the Belgian surrealist, Rene Magritte.

RM

14. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Time Transfixed" is a favorite of mine. It's absolutely nonsensical, but it contains two of my favorite subjects - clocks and steam locomotives. The black slate clock is reasonably accurate in shape, and the steam locomotive isn't too far off - it appears to be an LMS Royal Scot class.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Surrealism and clocks.

Most are familiar with the famous Dali painting, "Persistence of Time and Memory".

See these links to the website of the Polish surrealist painter, Jacek Yerka:

Search Results for “clock” – Yerkaland

Database of works – Yerkaland

I guess in the 2nd link, you need to put the word "clock" in the search bar provided as it did not keep that choice there.

Can anyone date and ID the clocks shown...ha, ha, just kidding.

Not sure I'm crazy about his work, but it is interesting?

RM

16. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Previously on this thread I mentioned the use of clock and clock dial motifs in PA fraktur.

Amongst the type of ephemera produced were bookmarkers. For more about this, see "American Folk Paintings from the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Collection", pages 326-327. I believe that it is one of these bookmarks produced in 19th century rural PA. The form and size are similar to examples shown in the above reference.

fraktur bookmark.JPG

It's watercolor and ink on wove paper.

Obviously what appealed to me is that an 18th or 19 century tall clock is depicted.

RM

4thdimension and PatH like this.
  17. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan Lipsig likes this.
  18. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice, Tim. How about private labeling it T. Fitzgerald & Co.

I've raised a similar question about the pocket watch in this Magritte I saw last summer at a Magritte exhibition at San Francisco's Museum of Modern Art. See Help Identifying This Magritte Pocket Watch.

DSC05279.JPG

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  19. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw this Max Ferguson today at the Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville Arkansas.

6163FC67-9CE3-4E99-BA7B-30B9DE4686D0.jpeg

PatH and Brad Maisto like this.
  20. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Artists or art curators sometimes bloviate about artist intentions or the meaning of a piece of art, as illustrated by this explanation of the Zulu Time nexus of this installation in the Blanton Museum of Art in Austin.

DFE656F2-407D-4B39-9B0E-6D8650BA0DDD.jpeg 398C0A1D-7CB2-4DE7-A701-A12E4D6911C0.jpeg

21. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That is hilarious, Ethan :excited:

It goes to prove the truth of the often made comment that "Modern art which requires a written explanation of its meaning has failed".

22. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just discovered this thread. Kool pics! (mostly :rolleyes:)

23. JB

JB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I appreciated the articles of Horology in Art as well. Today I found this wonderful painting in a small town antique store. I did purchase some great original period craftsman lights. But I am taking a keen interest in this painting. It’s a rather large painting. Any info about the painter or thoughts would be appreciated. FBFC7589-5542-454B-88A4-0661FD66F2EC.jpeg F5C5AED9-F10F-45A9-BBEA-B8F890AE98A7.jpeg CED5D7AC-DDF3-442C-BE5E-5D50475F1820.jpeg

24. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. He painted the clock running. Notice the pendulum is swung all the way to the left!

Frank

25. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That's a rather nice 19th century genre painting. Absolutely charming. Honestly, the clock is, for me, the least interesting aspect. A Black Forest wag on the wall?? No, I can't "date and id".

Many nice interior details. That's the often the interesting thing about these genre paintings.

Note the woman is engaged in lace making I believe by the bobbin technique. Certain areas of Europe became centers of lace making including Belgium and France. See:

Lace: A Sumptuous History 1600s–1900s Part 1 - Schweitzerlinen

Might help to determine the local.

If a "listed" artist, you may find him on various web sites.

Nice find! Would definitely find a place for it on my wall.

RM

JB likes this.