Horological Themed Christmas Ornaments?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Brad Maisto, Nov 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    375F3EA0-5693-4240-BFD2-1DBE7883AE23.jpeg B8E4118B-AA73-4B3C-B07B-F6A1FDF505A0.jpeg 2E6A086C-E0F0-481D-865E-07EA3267B80A.jpeg 8C5B8183-3DF4-44A9-A05E-6E9AFECC7EDD.jpeg
    I know these are not all horological, but this is the tree I get to decorate! The trains relate to the importance horology played in that industry over the years! The green tractors, just another passion. I am pretty sure the laser-engraved cherry ornament came from the Elgin Historical Society. The LS Ayers cherub sat upon the outdoor street clock in Indianapolis. This came from the Indiana State Museum and has an interesting story if anyone out there wants to hear about it?
    Thanks for Looking, Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing! Horological ornaments are one of my collecting interests, too, and I see some "familiar" ornaments in your collection. I'd love to hear about the cherub's history.

Thanks,
    Pat

3. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PatH,
    Here is what is printed about the “Indianapolis Cherub”,
    “The original Indianapolis Cherub was a cast bronze sculpted by Herron School of Art Professor David Rubins. It was three feet tall and perched in the Ayres clock in downtown Indianapolis from Thanksgiving Eve until Christmas Eve from 1947 to 1990. The Cherub was removed on Christmas Eve to allow Santa to take over. Until 1978, Ayres kept the Cherub’s origin a secret to “maintain an aura of romance” about the angel. The tradition continues today with the Indianapolis Cherub mysteriously appearing every Thanksgiving Eve perched on the top of his clock at the corner of Meridian and Washington Streets. Take home a part of this rich tradition.........”

I am sure if you google this you can find actual photos of this guy sitting on the clock!
    Brad Maisto

4. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Brad. The link worked. What a wonderful story! And it looks like the ornaments are still available.:coolsign: