Horace Burr Wooden works

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Richard T., Feb 1, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings all.....

Below is a picture of a wooden works clock by Horace Burr. Brian Loomes, Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the world (2006) lists him as Dundas, Canada 1830-1835. My question is: Does this fall in the same category as clocks with Southern labels? i. e. The clocks were bought in New England either as parts or assembled and the sellers label pasted in the clock.

This was quite common south of the Mason/Dixon line. No wooden and/or brass works clocks were actually "made" by sellers like Columbus clock Co., Davis Clock Co., Southern Clock Co. etc..

Regards,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry +o( for the double posting ! I didn't realize that my topic was already posted .)

Regards,

Richard T.

3. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard,
    Quoting from The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Clocks (J.E. Connell, 1995), "Horace and Charles Burr were natives of New England who sold clocks in Dundas, Upper Canada, in the 1830s. They appear to have imported wooden and brass movements from Connecticut and made the cases in Dundas. Most clocks were in the transitional 'pillar and splat' styles which were popular at the time. Their first clocks were labelled 'H. & C. Burr' and later simply 'Horace Burr'. They were back in the U.S.A. by 1836."

So, your suspicion seems to be correct. I'm curious whether one of them is the same as (or related to) the Burr of Lexington, MA. He was a partner with Austin Chittenden, and they purchased movements from Chauncey Boardman (perhaps others, as well) and made the cases. The periods of activity for the Canadian Burr and the US Burr overlap significantly, so they may not be the same Burr.

4. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the good information. I just remembered that I have one book on Canadian clocks....it is Early Canadian Timekeepers by Varkaris & Connell (1993).It is as we suspected regarding the importation of clocks either complete and ready to run or movements brought in and cased locally. Horace & Charles Burr are mentioned as well as others. There are also several pages devoted to Horace & Charles Burr. Jonathan Burr is mentioned as being in Lexington, Ma during the same period. Apparently there is no confirmation that they were related.

When all else fails, check your own clock library!!

Regards,

Richard T.

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard, what does your label say? My reference material shows a printer "Hackstaff, Printer-Dundas" on Canadian made Horace Burr pillar and Splat. As Jerome Collector says, imported movement, likely Canadian made case.
    Harold

6. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings Harold,

We posted at almost the same time. The clock actually belongs to a good friend and I will have to check the label. I did notice the printer information in my one and only book on Canadian clocks which I have just re-discovered.

Will advise as soon as I can check the label.

Thanks and best,

Richard t.