Horace Burr pillar and splat

Bill K

NAWCC Member
Aug 4, 2019
Country
Region
Last October 2nd I posted a thread concerning a Jonathan Burr (Lexington, Mass.) "groaner" wood works pillar and splat (early case style) I had obtained. It was mis-identifyed, mis-dated and hiding amongst other items in a large antiques store and the price was right. There was also a Horace Burr (Dundas, Upper Canada) p&s clock with more typical work works but it was priced beyond my budget and not subject to negotiation. I try to control my "enthusiasms" (as my grandmother called them). Had to travel back up to western Wisconsin last week and decided to see if the H. Burr might still be languishing, un-adopted and in need of a home. After scouring the store, no luck. My sister happened to be looking for an item several days later so we went back and I, without much hope, dug some more and, when about to give up the quest, there it was, deeply buried behind several pieces of big furniture and a lot of dust. The dealer, who had forgotten he had it, was now more open to discussion and a very reasonable price was agreed upon and I had another Burr. Morals of the story, "if you are meant to have something then it will wait for you" and "keep on looking even when the results don't look promising."
The label reads, Horace Burr, Dundas U.P. (Upper Canada), Hackstaff Printer, Dundas. The works, face, weights, pendulum, key, glass and looking glass are original and in great shape as is the label. The case has been repaired and refinished (probably several times) but the work is decent. The splat is a replacement with a satisfactory stencil and the half columns, typically, have been repainted and need stenciling. Sylvester12 posted a thread on Feb. 12, 2020 concerning a similar clock and the comments from Mr.'s DuBois and Markowitz and Jerome Collector have been very helpful in getting further information on this Canadian example. Can anyone identify the maker my works which are different from the Snowden 5.114 30 hr. works in Sylvester12's p&s? I know Horace and Charles Burr used many different New England works makers for their locally cased products and this example was produced after brother Charles relocated back to New England (1834-5?). Along with various repair signatures and dates (many from the 1900-1905 era (a recurring problem resisting correction?)) there is a fine Spencerian script "25 Dec 1839" date and a series of seemingly random numbers and letters in the same hand. A Christmas present with a private coded message to a loved one? I'd like to think so. Finding two Burr's in the same place makes me think they were together at one time, the dealer couldn't provide much information. It was mentioned in the 2020 thread that there might also be a family/business connection between Horace (and brother Charles), then in Upper Canada, and Jonathan back in Massachusetts; does anyone have further information on that possibility?
This clock retains the remnants of the original US Custom's "duty paid" sticker and a tiny March 23, 1900 newspaper mention stating that the clock was the oldest existing clock in the town of Morris, Ill. even though they incorrectly assumed that the 1839 date on the back of the face was the manufactured date and the clock was "made in England." Anyway, the two "Burr's are together and fit in nicely with my small family of early brass and wood works pillar & splats and double/triple deckers. Any further information and/or comments would, as always, be greatly appreciated. I always learn something which is a good part of the fun.
DSC_0263.JPG DSC_0264.JPG DSC_0257.JPG

Bill K

NAWCC Member
Aug 4, 2019
Country
Region
As a minor side note to the above. I am a NAWCC member, how does one get the forum to ID me as such rather than a "registered user?"

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
As a minor side note to the above. I am a NAWCC member, how does one get the forum to ID me as such rather than a "registered user?"
Click on your name (above slightly right of center); select Preferences; on that page fill in join date, member number, and paid through date. Once that info is in your profile, an administrator can update your records.

Bill K

NAWCC Member
Aug 4, 2019
Country
Region
I am obviously not a technophile, I do appreciate the help. The appropriate changes have been made to my preferences.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I am obviously not a technophile, I do appreciate the help. The appropriate changes have been made to my preferences.
Forums record updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sara.fagan73
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent