Homemade Screwdrivers

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by watchtinker, Dec 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. watchtinker

watchtinker Registered User

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    So I have been wanting some more screwdrivers, but I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on the. in the end I decided to try to make my own. After about four tries I managed to get all the kinks worked out. I don't think that once I factor in the time I spent making them I saved at all, but it was a fun project. I haven't made a blade yet, since I was going to use music wire, and I haven't got any. I'm not sure why the watch appeared, but I guess it doesn't hurt anything. DSC_0059.JPG 300943.jpg

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If what I am seeing with the drill bit is the start of the finished product, it looks pretty good. In the absence of pivot wire, can you not just use worn out drill bit shanks? Or even sacrifice good ones, they are pretty cheap at out local box store on sale.

I like it when folks make rather than buy.

David

3. watchtinker

watchtinker Registered User

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Well I haven't got any worn out drill bits, but music wire is only about 10 dollars for 25ft

4. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    You'll need a lot of different sizes of Music wire though in order to get a set of screwdrivers.

Nicely made handle!

5. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day Karl!

Not necessarily. If the lathe is available, and a TC cutter, one can then use a single size wire. Mounting end can be left as is and the working part turned down to the required diameter. Often done so with a collet style screwdriver blades, Belzer used to do it, even seen on some of the Vigor brand screwdrivers.

Cheers

Dushan

6. wrobbie

wrobbie Registered User

Dec 27, 2006
    BHI DLC student
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Chinese screwdrivers are about $10 on ebay, including crappy but functional stand. The blades can be all crooked and the finish of the tips is generally atrocious, but that can easily be remedied. I use one set of Chinese drivers ground to rather fat tips, for quartz watches.

I understand the joy of making your own tools, but usually prefer the route of modifying/improving a cheap off-the-shelf set, if possible.

RL likes this.