• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Home made clock depthing tool

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hello all.

Has anyone made a clock sized depthing tool?

The usual depthing tools for sale on ebay are for watch sized gears. Much too small for clocks. On occasion I see a clock sized one but way over priced for my wallet.

Sometimes bushing location gets a little wonkey when doing repairs to previously repaired. Not complaining as it's easy to miss the mark. A good depthing tool design that I can copy would be appreciated. I have spare standard staking set that I can sacrifice runners.

Just figure someone probably has done this already. I was thinking a door hinge, but I want to avoid welding. A wood hinge with all thread is what I attempted before, I suppose I could improve it.

Just looking for a better way.

RJ

Last edited:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Sold a while ago?
yep, quite a while, 5+ years maybe. Can't hardly recall. This has been a long over due project/quest.

A compass usually works because chances are slim bushing wear is bad on both plates. It's just that the depthing tool allows adjusting the mesh before deciding. Also it's essential for building clock/watch from spare parts.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hello all.

Has anyone made a clock sized depthing tool?

The usual depthing tools for sale on ebay are for watch sized gears. Much too small for clocks. On occasion I see a clock sized one but way over priced for my wallet.

Sometimes bushing location gets a little wonkey when doing repairs to previously repaired. Not complaining as it's easy to miss the mark. A good depthing tool design that I can copy would be appreciated. I have spare standard staking set that I can sacrifice runners.

Just figure someone probably has done this already. I was thinking a door hinge, but I want to avoid welding. A wood hinge with all thread is what I attempted before, I suppose I could improve it.

Just looking for a better way.

RJ
'Ullo RJ
Yes - I have one and use it. It was indeed made from two large hinges and works perfectly. If you are interested I can do a few pictures and post them on here. Dimensions are 4 x 8 inches.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Thank you Arjay for the question.
I have been thinking for a long time how useful a depthing tool could be.
I had accumulated enough stock to build the tool but what has been said here has cinched my decision.
My concern has always been how to accurately hinge the plates and now the solution is quite evident.
Use hinges.
Best,
Dick

Reactions: RJSoftware

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Two great examples, my thanks to both of you.. Now If someone could give me a magic pill so I got more energy left at the end of the day. :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't have enough energy left to take the pill anyway :D

Reactions: RJSoftware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members