• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Home Made Bellows for Singing Bird Cage

ACR

Feb 22, 2020
Pittsburgh
Country
I got this birdcage that had the plastic bellows. I sent part of it away to have a gear built, and in the meantime decided to take a shot at building a wooden set of bellows to replace the plastic. I studied all of the airway directions and it should work fine. With the new gear built and installed by the maker (Jon, in Alabama), that part of the set up works great. I installed the bellows and...not so great. The first video is just a trial, and the second I tried putting some pressure on the outer valve, which is what made another one of my birdcages work. I suspect maybe I have a leak around the hinge, though I am surprised, because I thought I got it all pretty tight. I will post some pictures of the inside of these bellows in a little while.

I think what I am looking for is an idea or two of how to build something a little simpler just to get some whistles going. I have a Tokyo Pigeon birdcage which seems to have a way simpler bellows set up, and so really I am wondering how to build something that doesn't have a million valves. I could reuse the plastic ones, but I really don't want to scrap those back together, and there is the fact that I cut the whistle off to use on the handmade ones.

ACR

Feb 22, 2020
Pittsburgh
Country
61073348157__7EACA709-7C25-4A3E-8103-06B59FBB7BDD.JPG IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0367.jpg The diagram is based on a regular singing birdcage bellows that I repaired and diagrammed as I went. The second are the plastic ones I had that I took the whistle off of. The third is as I was working on the new set. The gaps around the one hinged area are BIG, but I thought I overlapped everything pretty well in there.

Abdula

New User
Dec 19, 2020
Country
(This is more than a year old but anyway...)
Well, I was looking at your diagram, and the air flow you indicated seems to be wrong. In the videos I can see that the reservoir bellow is not receiving the air. I used your image to draw the correct air flow through the valves in the plastic bellows set. It is a little different path when you compare with regular wooden set. Compare with your diagram.
You have two pumping bellows and one reservoir bellow. The two pumping bellows - with the moving part between them - will get air from outside and pump to the third bellow that will accumulate pressurized air to deliver to the whistle. The valve on the reservoir is for safety and is kept closed with a spring and will let leak air only if pressure raises too much. (Not represented in my diagram.) This safety valve is missing in the plastic bellows - at least the one I have here does not have one.
I also got one of these plastic bellows bird cage to repair, this is why I came here. I am struggling with those round bellows and the air that leaks everywhere, the valves do not work properly... Then I decided the same as you: to make another set of bellows from scratch.
plastic.png bellows flow.png

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
I am amazed at how close you have come to copying the bellows for a Griesbaum Whistler figure . The Whistlers were made by the same family before the Singing Bird Cages . Do you have a Whistler bellows to copy ? There are restoration videos on youtube for" Whistler Bellows". Much good info for you there . Best Wishes............

Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 21, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Country
I just recently got a Dome Singing Bird clock with the same type of mechanism. Luckily for me the rubber bellows are still OK and with a bit of tinkering I have gotten it to play.

I also see that Timesavers sells new rubber bellows. I am currently working on the case to restore it so I have not looked at cleaning the internal mechanism yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-