Hollow Column Clock ~ Weights

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by C Anthony, Jun 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. C Anthony

C Anthony Registered User

Apr 13, 2014
    Manager, Retail Flower Shop and Greenhouses
    Charles City, IA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We are working on my E. & G. W. Bartholomew WW Hollow Column Clock. The clock did not come with any weights and we are attempting to at least get the clock running properly by experimenting with various weights. We know that these clocks took special size of weights, but are not certain as to the actual weight each one should be. In one publication, someone made reference that the Bartholomew's used a heavier weight for the hollow column clock. Does anyone have one of these clocks that might share pictures of the correct weights, so we can improve our search for correct weights, but also the correct weight of the weights in order to have the clock running correctly.

Thanks in advance
    Christopher

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Christopher,

Years ago in the 1970s, a man by the name of Versage hand cast reproduction lead weights for almost all the known weight clocks. While he has passed away and his weights are no longer in production, I do have a copy of his catalog reference to the weights you need:

[​IMG]

Apparently, both the time and strike side weights were the same.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

George Nelson

3. C Anthony

Apr 13, 2014
    Charles City, IA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This certainly helps. We have it running that is made a complete 23 hours, though it gained 20 minutes during that time. Some more adjustments needed, but we are getting there.

Thanks for your assistance.

4. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Absolutely no problem at all. With a time gain of 20 minutes in 23 hours, you should be able to adjust that out with the pendulum adjustment.

Any chance of a picture or two of the clock? Hollow columns are not plentiful and I know everyone would love to see it!

Best,

George

5. C Anthony

Apr 13, 2014
    Charles City, IA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First thing I noticed about the clock was the suspension spring. It was very short, the bob barely hung in the opening of the lower door. So that right there will correct much of the gain in time. I will get some pictures of the clock as soon as I can. It is at a friends house, as he has more tools that I have when it comes to extensive work on clocks.