Hole depth in a K&D 50B punch?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by SwirlyMaple, Jun 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SwirlyMaple

SwirlyMaple Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out if the teeny tiny hole in my punch for the K&D 50B balance staff remover is clogged or not. If I use a very fine copper wire and insert it into the hole, and bend it over where it bottoms, the hole appears to only be ~0.80 to 0.90mm deep.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or is that punch clogged? Thanks!

(And yes I know these generally aren't recommended for removing balance staffs, I'm just trying to complete and restore a K&D set back to tip-top condition as a fine piece of history :))

2. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

There are few things to consider:

1 - Need for a deeper hole in the punch that serves only to knock out a balance staff with already one or two broken pivots.
    2 - If that were important, you would expect that the tip of the punch were cross drilled to enable cleaning if it gets clogged.
    3 - Consider how long are the pivots of the staff when not broken? They rarely get to be as long as 0.40 mm (~0.015")
    4 - Have you ever tried to drill a hole 12/100 mm or 15/100 mm in diameter? Usually holes are drilled no more than 5 to 10 diameters of a drill depending on their diameter, besides drill bits themselves are not much longer than that, unless we are talking of a very special and very expensive drill bits.​

You have a punch with a hole 0.15 mm in diameter, and you measured something like 0.80 or 0.90 mm, which is about 5 diameters of the the hole i.e. twice a possible pivot length.

Conclusion is, that everything you are worrying about is in perfect order. BTW, I've checked one that I have and it is just about what you have found.

Cheers, Dushan

SwirlyMaple likes this.
  3. SwirlyMaple

SwirlyMaple Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hi Dushan, thanks much for the reply! That's solid logic and I'm glad to know all is well. Thanks also for checking yours. Cheers!