Holding a wheel to polish pivot

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by rodlloyd, Jul 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rodlloyd

rodlloyd Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Rainier OREGON
    Country Flag:
    I need help Holding a wheel to polish pivot where the wheel is right next to the pivot and there is nothing to hold on to except the pivot itself and I am not going to do that. I have tried to use a steady-rest and make a jacot tool with no success. I look forward to a good discussion on this.

311352.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. AJSBSA

AJSBSA Registered User
    Donor

Nov 24, 2009
    Male
    Clockmaker
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 AJSBSA, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    This design (turns) works with any type and much easier to control I only use the lathe for pivots over 5mm now
    311360.jpg 242055.jpg 311360.jpg

Attached Files:

4. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You can use a steady rest and put the pivot in a collet. Make sure the pivot doesn't turn on the collet or it will score it. If the collet is to loose the piece will spin out when you go to polish. So be extremely careful with this operation. Plus your pivot looks to be scored pretty bad and not true.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, unless you want to take the wheel off, you have no choice but to either chuck on the pivot or not polish it. Just be sure that it's supported at the other end somehow.

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please don't try this with small hardened pivots or you will be looking at a repivoting job. If the pivot just needs to be "polished" (not burnished, filed, or turned to remove damage) then another option is a small felt buffing wheel 'charged' with your polishing compound in a Dremel tool. Still risky for fine pivots that are easily broken or bent but works OK for most 'ordinary' American clock pivots.

RC

7. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    #7 R&A, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    I've done this with both and have had good success. But you have to be so careful. If you don't know what your doing, you will damage the pivot. Has to run very true. Plus his pivot is not true and needs to be reworked. When pivots get down into the .035 and lower I don't do this. Like you said it will cause problems.

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    311379.png
    This situation is exactly why the Rollimat is without equal when it comes to pivot polishing. Shown is the Hand Rollimat polishing the pivots of a fly. The polishing head turns instead of the wheel. As a result, if a pivot or a wheel is close to an end, it makes no difference at all. We have since connected ours to a small lathe motor.

Attached Files:

9. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I was going to suggest a lathe dog but RJ's post in the
    page TAT posted shows what I had in mind.
    Tinker Dwight

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here I go again. I use Mark' s polishing wheels in my lathe. The polishing wheel turns and you slowly turn the wheel/pivot. Works great for me.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that's fine except when the pivot has deep grooves that have to be ground out. I'm not sure you can keep the filing stage even.

12. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use lathe dogs, similar to the ones in TAT's thread.

You might also want to look into This.

13. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I start with the coursest wheel, which has squared edges, and cut the groves out, then follow up with the finer wheels till it is smooth. Love my polishing wheels. Mark gives me no discount for this.

14. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 RJSoftware, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    I love me a turns. Sorry 4 the mush. :)

Eventually, in all probability, for the practicality, for the efficiency and for the dang good feel of it, you all will have to get use to using a turns.

If you do not know, the turns is the absolute best of the best. I can hear angry knees banging on bench bottoms from the sheer shock.

But yes, it is so.

When and if you decide to tackle watch repair, you might want to do some micro drilling. When you think about it you say to yourself, ah heck, I can do that with my lathe in regular collets any day of the week, you sorry ol RJ...!

Hmmmm, nope. For example, where talking about drilling a .4 mm hole in a .8 mm arbor. A typical watch lever arbor.

Think about that for a moment. Let it soak in for a while. Think about inserting a regular drill bit in a Jacobs chuck, with the fat fiddly fingers trying to center up. Now imagine a thin brittle drill bit, thinner than a cat's whisker and if the drill bit rolls off the table it's toast.

When you take a piece of stock that you are cutting out of a collet, you lose the center. On clock repair this is nothing. A variance of a fraction of a mm or so is nothing for the gears of a clock.

What is the point of all this mush, RJ...?

Well, I just want you to understand my appreciation of the tool. When you get to the point where you think, Oh my word, I can't take this. This is just too dang much...!!!

But in the back of my mind I always know that nothing, no clock is gonna kick my !!!

Because why? Because I drilled a .4mm hole in a .8mm arbor. That's why..!!! And if I can do that, I can do anything. I may have to do things over again a few times. Hey...

The turns works by "centers" so it's dead on accurate. The micro drill I made uses the tiny pc carbide bits. Starting at .3mm. Some are smaller.

It works a lot like the magic center finder. The drill bit is guided to center as the arbor is guided to center. The whole thing works like a turns so it's by centers. I made mine out of aluminum. Mine has a wheel to drive it.

The point is I think you guys are avoiding the turns. You took a turns for the worse.
    When it's your turn, try the turns...!

Some of you guys are waiting till you can purchase a lathe. But you can modify a turns to become a lathe. Drive with dogs/shellac.

But the new shellac is hot glue. It works even better...!

RJ

15. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah I prefer to use turns for polishing pivots, turning the arbor between centres is safer for the pivots compared to holding one of the pivots in a chuck while polishing the other in a bed,

16. AJSBSA

AJSBSA Registered User
    Donor

Nov 24, 2009
    Male
    Clockmaker
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad there are a few of us still polishing pivots with a turns I have two clockmakers lathes and I made a Jacot attachment for the lathe but I still prefer the turns much safer too

17. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #18 Hudson, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Still another way to hold such an arbor is with a faceplate chuck and a steady rest. I use a dial test indicatior to insure the arbor runs true. Works great.
    Pay attention to the other poster's warning about holding the pivot in a chuck collett. It is easy to score a nice pivot by chucking directly on it. (ask me how I know that!)

Here is an arbor set up in a faceplate chuck and steady rest. This would work on your pictured arbor. 311517.jpg

18. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    What! No one has mentioned their Plewes chuck yet? It's designed specially for this purpous by the late great clock-man John Plewes. It is well described in his book "Repairing & Restoring Pendulum Clocks", pages
    200 to 209. Anyone with a lathe and milling machine should be able to knock one out in a few weeks. ☺
    Willie X

19. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess nobody's interested in the door-hinge turns, referenced in post #12 above.

20. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yeah well, I've done a lot of pivots with a pin vice but then I was taught to file a lot of pins in my time.

21. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Where there is a will there is a way. Certainty such filing Is a needed skill. You may wonder my reply about the turns enthusiasm but a while back the subject was met with criticism. Unfounded. Then to find the absolute necessity of it...

22. AJSBSA

AJSBSA Registered User
    Donor

Nov 24, 2009
    Male
    Clockmaker
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #23 AJSBSA, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Here is a video of me using mine
    [video=youtube;Wk6xtCRF6-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk6xtCRF6-E[/video]

There is another another video but you are only allowed to show one

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You didn't advertise it too well, bangster - but it certainly is something that anyone could make and find useful. I hope some followed your links ;)

24. brutusamiga

brutusamiga Registered User

Sep 13, 2011
    Teacher
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Mark. The Rollimat is an absolute pleasure :)

25. AJSBSA

AJSBSA Registered User
    Donor

Nov 24, 2009
    Male
    Clockmaker
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well Willie you piqued my interest so I bought a copy, a gem of a book well worth buying just dipped in so far but I am fascinated by the Plewes chuck seems much more complex than it need be especially since I have an adjustable back plate on my 3 jaw I will ponder on it some more.

26. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    #27 Jerry Kieffer, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    Rodloyd

One method as suggested was to use a turns that of course will work.

However, personally, I prefer to have both hands free to control a situation in the way I wish to control it. As such, I prefer the use of the Lathe utilizing machinable jaws to hold a wheel where required and a tailstock held runner. A typical setup (Junk wheel for illustration) can be seen in the attached photo.

The radius/pocket is touched up for each use or different OD with a boring bar providing maximum accuracy and protection of the wheel. Tension is only finger tight and the perfect fitting pocket protects even the most delicate wheel. In this case the manufacturer provides machinable jaws in plastic, aluminum, and soft steel (12L14) as shown. In addition, all materials can be supplied in pie shaped jaws. A set of jaws will generally except about 50-100 modifications before they are discarded.

Jerry Kieffer
    312145.jpg

27. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Me too, but my copy hasn't been delivered yet. :(

I'm no machinist so it sounds like the Plewes Chuck will be a little over my head but I'm gonna look at it anyway. If nothing else, just to see what Willie is talking about. :)

28. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HI Stephen.

The Plewes chuck is not so much about centring, but rather how to handle complex arbor / wheel combinations when you want to get close to the end of the pivot to say replace a pivot and you need more than a light hold, but a large wheel is in the way and can't be held in a conventional chuck. In one of the posts here there was a link to another thread where a number of options were discussed including reference to the Plewes chuck I believe.

David

29. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #30 Bruce Alexander, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    David S,

Did you post photos of some special tool(s), or chuck(s) you fabricated for holding wheels in situations like these?

I have recently tried RC's "dog" approach. I think that it was relatively easy to set up and it has worked well on the few wheels I tried it on thus far. Thanks RC!

30. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  31. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's it! That was a neat solution you came up with there. It's harder to get "stumped" when you have multiple approaches to a problem. Thanks David.

32. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When it will not fit.

312227.jpg 312228.jpg 312229.jpg 312230.jpg

Attached Files:

33. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Recently had to replace the flaking pivots on the 2nd wheels of a Hermle 1161-853 movement. These have the wheel on one end of the arbor and a large pinion gear on the other end. To hold the assembly a 1/2" thick brass disc was drilled to the size of the arbor and then sawed in half. The disc is then placed around the arbor and gripped in the lathe chuck as shown. An independent 4-jaw chuck allows the runout to be adjusted to zero.
    This provided a very firm grip and was easy to set up. It will get used again on future repairs, since Hermle 2nd arbors are the same size. 312319.jpg 312320.jpg 312321.jpg

34. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan another good work around.

David

35. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I agree, it is and that looks like a pretty tough wheel to work with.
    I only have a SC 3-Jaw (I know...rank Newbie) but when I grow up, I hope to get one of those Independent 4-Jaws :rolleyes:

36. AJSBSA

AJSBSA Registered User
    Donor

Nov 24, 2009
    Male
    Clockmaker
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Talking of tough wheels to work on this a French wheel I had to re pivot last year, the customer was told by one repairer it was impossible they told me after I delivered the serviced clock back to them, the Plewes chuck might of been useful for this wheel.

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

37. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lots of good methods being shown Stephen. I like that adjustable 3-jaw set up.

David

38. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce when I started way back then I didn't have much $$ so my first "big" chuck was a 4 jaw independent. I have found it to be extremely versatile and once you get used to it, it hardly takes any time to centre stuff in it, and in fact you can dial it in closer than the typical 3 jaw. I never got a 3 jaw chuck.

As shown in Stephen's set up you can hold a pin vise in a 4 jaw and centre it if you don't have an adjustable back plate like he does.

David

39. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's the trouble with this job, AJSBSA. You don't always know a thing is impossible until after you get it done! :chuckling:

40. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, they weren't lying to the owner. In their shop, it was not possible to repair the wheel. A good Collet set might have come in handy on this wheel as well...with either end chucked. Small diameter Leaf Pinions like that can be handled very well with the right Collet