History of watchmaking in the Vallée de Joux

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Paul,

Bookfinder only lists a single, used, French edition, published in 2017.

Regards,

Graham

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
If not, would it be of interest if I were to do it?
Paul
That would be wonderful Paul, if you can find some spare time to do this for the community.
--Robert

Reactions: Warwian and PatH

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
No chance!
I might get it done by Christmas...............2020
(The French is a bit archaic)
P
Sounds like a case of not being able to eat archaic and have it too. :rolleyes:

BTW, how long is it? I wonder whether the NAWCC might be interested in publishing the translation.

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
BTW, how long is it?
It's only about 90 pages (roughly A5 size). If I do what I did with my great-grandfather's "Notice Historique", I'll add in footnotes and an index.
I've just had a look at the preface. He uses very flowery language.
Incidentally, he adds lists of local watch factories and of suppliers which could be important. It was written in 1895 so the original Louis Audemars enterprise isn't listed, but the three "successor" companies are, as is AP.
I haven't read it through, so the content will be as new to me as to anyone else.

Paul

Reactions: PatH and viclip

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
It's only about 90 pages (roughly A5 size). If I do what I did with my great-grandfather's "Notice Historique", I'll add in footnotes and an index.
I've just had a look at the preface. He uses very flowery language.
Incidentally, he adds lists of local watch factories and of suppliers which could be important. It was written in 1895 so the original Louis Audemars enterprise isn't listed, but the three "successor" companies are, as is AP.
I haven't read it through, so the content will be as new to me as to anyone else.

Paul
This sounds very exciting! I’d love to read your translation!

Reactions: tick talk

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Very sorry!
I hit a roadblock a few months ago - I won't bore you all with the details.
I'm definitely going to miss the Christmas 2020 deadline. I'll have a look at resurrecting it in the New year.
Paul

tonywatch

Mar 20, 2009
Hi Paul,
You will find that in the book the invention of the chronograph is attributed to Henri-Féreol Piguet, working for
Nicole & Capt in the period 1859/1863.
I would put a cautionary note to the claim, the cause of 99% of Swiss Horological Literarture saying that H-F Piguet invented and even produced the first chronograph.
The English patent n.1461 and the French patent n.56303 both filed in 1862 are completly ignored
Goog luck with the translation.
All the best.
Tony Maragna

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Thank you Tony.
You are - as always - a mine of information. We don't hear from you nearly often enough.
I haven't got to that bit yet.
I'm fairly sure that a local bloke writing in the Vallée de Joux in the 1890s probably wouldn't have known that sort of thing.
When/if I get to it I'll put in a footnote (with attribution).
P
PS - I have a feeling this might just spark yet another discussion about the precise English and French meanings of "chronograph".

tonywatch

Mar 20, 2009
Thank you Tony.
You are - as always - a mine of information. We don't hear from you nearly often enough.
I haven't got to that bit yet.
I'm fairly sure that a local bloke writing in the Vallée de Joux in the 1890s probably wouldn't have known that sort of thing.
When/if I get to it I'll put in a footnote (with attribution).
P
PS - I have a feeling this might just spark yet another discussion about the precise English and French meanings of "chronograph".

tonywatch

Mar 20, 2009
Hi Paul,
You are correct about "this might just spark yet another discussion about the precise English and French meanings of "chronograph".

Hawever:
The Chronograph
The origin of the chronograph can be very confusing, because people are not necessarily talking about the same thing.
The definition of the modern chronograph can be found in the:
DICTIONAIRE PROFESSIONNEL ILLUSTRÉ
DE L’ HORLOGERIE
by G. A. BERNER
Edité par la Chambre Suisse de l’Horlogerie, La Chaux-de Fonds. (Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology I + II, by G.-A. Berner 2002 Ed.) in 4 languages.
“CHRONOGRAPH n. (more properly Chronoscope).
A watch with hands showing the hours, minutes and seconds, together with a mechanism controlling a chronograph-hand mounted in the centre of the dial.
By the operation of the push-piece, the chronographhand can be set in motion, stopped and returned to zero. It completes one revolution per minute; a minute-counter hand (minute register-hand U.S.A.) counts the revolution, i.e. the minutes, usually up to 30.”

Even after quoting the dictionary you my find that some peaple not only "want their cake " they " want to eat it ".
Bonne chance.
Tony Maragna

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment