History of our pendule de Paris

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Marc in York UK, Jun 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marc in York UK

Marc in York UK Registered User

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Marc in York UK, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Can anyone throw more light on the age and provenance of our white marble mantel clock?

The movement is stamped by Japy Freres et Cie for the grande medaille d'honneur at the 1855 exhibition. The clock face, in roman numerals, is marked Yates a Paris.

It has a small retard and advance mechanism above the XII. Both the movement and the pendulum bob are stamped with the serial number 2384, and the back plate also has L stamped above the serial number and 6 close to the bottom edge.

It rings the hour and half-hour with a mechanism wound separately.

It is running nicely in beat now that it is properly level, and keeps good time for a clock of this age and type.

Am I right in thinking it is quite unusual? I haven't seen another one from this era that is so plain and lacking in ornament.

I very much look forward to hearing from anyone who knows about the development of these clocks.

P1000668.JPG P1000656.JPG P1000648.JPG P1000647.JPG P1000644.JPG DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0050.JPG

Curtis Brown and THTanner like this.
  2. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The French Marble Clock by Nicolas Thorpe is the reference book for these, and is relatively cheap. But yes, they are usually more decorative than this - I think the feature here is simply the use of white stone (is it marble?)

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Your clock does indeed have a white marble case - I wouldn't go as far as calling such cases unusual or rare, but they are indeed less common than the black marble cases. It was made in the 1880-1900 bracket. The movement was indeed manufactured by Japy Frères, and Yates à Paris is the retailer.

Regards.

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only unusual thing about it is the colour of the case, white ones are not common, it's a nice clock. According to Thorpe that logo was used up until around 1888.

5. Marc in York UK

Marc in York UK Registered User

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thankyou Zedric for making me stop to think about the "white marble" before trying to clean off the dirt and stains. To judge by the surface scratch next to the hinge of the front glass, it could be alabaster. I have been looking at the very useful threads from a few years ago which point out the characteristics of marble, alabaster etc. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would make a clock case out of a material as soft as alabaster, but it turns out that French makers did use it.

Best wishes, Marc

6. Curtis Brown

Curtis Brown Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2019
    King. Running away (from work).
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just bought a very similar one myself. A Japy Freres "Exhibition" clock. Mine is black slate and even less ornamented than yours. It's actually a silk suspension version, time only. Exactly the same makers mark. A different serial number but in the same three locations.

Japy clock.jpg

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another nice one, quite a similar case but a timepiece and silk suspension from or post 1855.

Curtis Brown likes this.