Historic Clock Movement Stolen

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by Bob Ryan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob Ryan

Bob Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Seattle
    This is a sad story. Over the Christmas weekend someone stole the movement out of a Seattle street clock that was in front of the Museum of History and Industry. The clock was made by Joseph Mayer, a Seattle jeweler, in 1913 and was one of nine remaining.

It might already be melted down but you never know. Keep and eye out for it.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010618590_mohaiclock29m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010624386_webmohaiclock29m.html

Bob Ryan

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Retired from computer program/product/project mana
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This may be the original installation of the clock, or maybe not...

Attached Files:

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A clock movement like that perhaps would be difficult to sell as a movement.But for scrap i guess it would be easy.Must have been taken at night as it would take time to remove it and not be seen by anyone.I hope it is found.

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Retired from computer program/product/project mana
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Jim DuBois, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    The subject clock would have had an E Howard movement, not serialized, like the photo below. Usually these loose movements bring $1000-5000 on eBay, depending on a lot of variables.... but it is nearly impossible to prove from where a movement came from (or went). I have bought and sold at least 10 of them over time. And I would bet that other tower clock folks have bought and sold them too... and it always pays to know who you are buying from and where the movements came from, but Craig's List, and eBay, and the like preclude any really verification of provinance.....unfortunately....I have one in the shop right now, unrestored, that I have owned for 5+ years.....see second photo

Attached Files:

5. lamarw

lamarw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wish they would of had a camera surveliance system. Such inexpensive security.

6. FredWJensen

FredWJensen Registered User

Feb 1, 2007
    Unfortunately so called collectors will buy anything. Ridiculous, This would never be melted for scrap, because it would yield only a few dollars. Several weeks ago thieves in Poland took the sign over Auschwitz for sale to a collector, but later the sign was retrieved. People are Nuts today.
    My family were watchmakers for over 175 years, and in the last years of the business in New York, we finally had to keep door locked while the shop was open, because of robberies.

7. hoo-boy

hoo-boy Registered User

Nov 13, 2008
    retired
    1/2 mile past Resume Speed
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Reading some of these post of stolen clocks just sterngthens my pro capital punishment stance!...hoo-boy(not meant as a joke!)

8. Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1 Registered User

Jul 28, 2011
    Seattlelites- Thank you in advance for keeping the forum abreast of any and all developments in this tragedy which sickens me.