Historic Clock in Tallahassee, FL, Is the Clock Face Familiar

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Friends of Laura, Feb 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Friends of Laura

Friends of Laura New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Country Flag:
    1977, clock face.jpg Clock Tower, 1977, side entrance.jpg RP06026.jpg
    This was a clock tower erected in Tallahassee, FL by Calvin Phillips between 1910 and 1919. It was demolished in the mid 1980's and only a few pictures of it remain. I am an amateur historian researching his life and the face of this clock puzzles me. The normal Roman numeral or numbers on the face are instead crosses? The closest thing I have found as a possible inspiration is the hands of the Thomas clock on Independence Hall which is a cross-shaped hour arm. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 FDelGreco, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    Welcome to the message board. Maybe I could shed some light on this.

A number of years ago I bought a German tower clock, ca. 1880s,that came out of a building in Hanover Germany. It came with the original 28 inch dial. The dial, though peeling, had been painted white with what looked like house paint. The hour markers were simple rectangular marks of black paint. No minute marks.

Since I had taken Phil Gregory's dial painting class, I decided I might as well repaint the dial. When I stripped off the top layer of paint it revealed the original but faded dial painting - beautiful Roman numerals, complete with serifs, and a minute ring with minute markers. My guess is that at some time the village maintenance guy felt that the original numerals and background were too faded so he repainted the dial. He had no skill in doing Roman numerals or minute rings so he simply made the hour markers with a stroke of a 1 inch wide paint brush.

In your case the dial may have been repainted at some point by a maintenance worker who was unskilled. Perhaps he cut a stencil of a cross and used that to make the hour marks. The minute markers look raised - easy to repaint.

Frank

3. Perry Nelson

Perry Nelson New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My mother lived in the house next door to this clock tower sometime around 1946 or so. She has fond memories of playing on the tower and has a number of pictures she took just a few years before it was demolished. She knows a good bit about the folks who lived in the house where the tower was. Don't know how much she would know about your question, but she would be very happy to talk with you about it. Her name is Shirley Nelson and she can be reached at (850) 877-4450. Just tell her you want to know more about the clock tower, and be prepared to spend a while on the phone. She's also on FB - Shirley Raker Nelson.