High grade Fritz Piguet ! Which maker?

watchfriends

Jul 23, 2007
Hello,

i bought a high grade pocket watch from Fritz Piguet in 18K with nice casework and brezel over the movement, wolf’s tooth etc.

Can someone help me to find the maker?

44.jpg

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Nice watch. Different aspects remind me of Ed Koehn, Agassiz, Patek even...maybe Ls Audemars? Probably will be tough to nail down who really made it. But great quality.

Luca

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
I cannot provide you much information on Fritz Piguet, other than that the firm at times was associated with a "Bachman." Pritchard reports that Fritz Piguet "was one of the group of Swiss Collecitve which won First Prize at the Melbourne Exhibition in 1881." Pritchard reports that Fritz Piguet & Bachman "won a Silver Medal for horology at the Paris Universal Exposition in 1878," and that it too was part of the Swiss Collective referred to above.

I have a very good quality Fritz Piguet and a Fritz Piguet & Bachman cylinder watch, both ladies watches in 18k.

Here is the Fritz Piguet.

Attachments

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Fritz Piguet was a maker so he is the maker of your watch.

Pritchard's Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 has a single line entry identifying teh firm as one of a consortium that won an exhibition award. Daniel Aubert's book Horlogers et montres exceptionnels de la Vallee` de Joux Volume II has as picture of a similar watch.

The book is in French and I don't read it well but teh picture is all I could find. The book title translates roughly as Exceptional horologists and watches of Vallee de La Joux (Valley of Joy). The book is available for loan from the NAWCC Library.

This is a three Volume set which is organized along the lines of Ehrhardt books with some Tour Guide material also included.

The ebauches are typical of the region and may have been made by Louis Benjamin Audemar's firm.

watchfriends

Jul 23, 2007
thanks for the help. I found a article of a Patek minute repeater wristwatch but i can not translate in german.

The minute repeating wristwatch is one of the most desirable and rarest
trophies in today's collectors market. Due to the extreme cost of
production, only a limited number of such 12 lignes movements, supplied
by the prestigious ébauche manufacturers Fritz Piguet, were ever made.
(Christies Genf)

watchfriends

Jul 23, 2007
Hello Mr. Lipsig,

can you tell me the number of the first watch? My watch has a very slow number "757" movement and case.

the case is like my watch with the cristal cover

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
If the first F. Piguet has a serial number, I have never found it. It was the first pocket watch I ever bought. I was shocked at how small it was, 34mm; I had bought it on eBay and was clueless that 34mm was really small. So I had to buy another pocket watch. Things then got out of hand, which is how I find myself now owning about 225 pocket watches.

In reviewing my notes in an effort to find a serial number, I came across more information about Fritz Piguet gleaned from an Antiquorom catalog:

"The company specialized in superbly adjusted watches and supplied ebauches to most of the major watchmakers during the middle of the 19th Century, including Patek Philippe. They worked at Rue Bonnivard 10, Geneva. They were associated with the firm of Bachman as Fritz Piguet & Bachman and employed an excellent adjuster, the famous Favre-Rochat who competed with Batifolier. Both were expert adjusters specializing in complicated watches. Piguet & Bachman rivaled Haas Neveux in Geneva Timing Competitions for the first place in complicated watches. Piguet & Bachman won the first prize in the 1888 Geneva Observatory Timing Contest with 228.8 points. They also won a silver medal in the 1878 Paris Universal Exhibition and a gold medal in Melbourne in 1881. They were the top contenders among those specializing in complicated watches.”

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johntw
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool