High End Watch Sales are Falling Rapidly

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Dick C, Nov 26, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I wear a pocket watch every day in my pocket, but it's
    really not there to tell time. I have a clock on my
    microwave, stove, cable box, car dashboard, computer, smart phone
    etc etc etc etc. at my office we have clocks on the wall in
    every office. The accurate time is everywhere you look.
    Everyone has a clock with them 24/7
    By the time I get to my office in the morning
    I've seen 20 clocks(ok thats an exageration)
    Watches are jewelry now for most. We had a gentleman
    come into our office the other day with a Smart Watch.
    I asked him a hundred questions about how he used it.
    It seemed that it was for messages, GPS, and tracking.
    It looked like a big black square on his wrist.

Rob

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wear a watch on my wrist to tell the time. It's analogue, so a quick glance can tell me roughly where we are at within a few minutes. That's all I really need from a watch, not a piece of jewellery. I do have another that might be considered jewellery because it is gold, but actually to me it is about what is inside it and how it was made, I can still tell the time with a quick glance.

3. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:

I do too, I was being facetious. But I do see the time everywhere I go.

Rob

4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The difference for me is that wherever I go I have a watch, whatever activity I do I have a watch. I'm more sedentary now but sailing, climbing, hiking, caving, camping, swimming, in the shower, in bed. I am never without a watch.

The same can't be said of a phone, or a computer, or my numerous clocks that take over the role when I'm at home.

A lot of these activitites are a bit rough for a leather strap and an 18 carat gold case, so I usually wear a stainless steel watch.

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I have very conflicting hobbies/interests and work life conditions. The Swedish hygiene standards for healthcare doesn't allow watches or rings when you have patient contact.

I spoke to a surgeon about watches when the subject came up and he told me he'd considered getting a nice watch for a long time, "but then again, when would I wear it?".

I think it's not just a business model that has caused watch sales to drop, sometimes a wristwatch just isn't practical or appropriate. The most common job in Sweden is assstant nurse. A job where you are 1) not allowed to wear a watch during hours and 2) you wouldn't want to wear one when you are changing a diaper...

In big parts of Asia though, and China in particular, there is a culture in watches that who you are should always be reflected on the wrist. It's unbecoming of a wealthy businessman to have a cheap watch. And that's partially why China has been a major business provider for the Swiss industry. But it's a "all eggs in one basket" kind of thing. Luxury spending is one of the first things to go with a dwindling economy.

6. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Just like in China now(as said above)
    (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) it always has
    seemed to me that High End watches were a sort
    of conspicuous consumption, only in the fact that
    if you are wearing the wrong watch, driving the wrong car,
    or living in the wrong neighborhood, you don't fit in.
    I have nothing against a high quality time piece, in fact
    the quality and finish on these watches is fantastic.
    I was watching a show on the Hamptons (long Island USA)
    and one of the locals was saying, "we know who
    actually lives here from the clothing that they wear
    to their watch." Obviously not all people who own High End watches
    wear their watch just to impress other people,
    I don't want to insult anyone here who wears one.

Rob

7. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect quite a few on here have some high quality watches, which may be different to high end, I doubt anybody on here wears them to impress.

I think a lot of the watches worn to impress are actually not that great.

8. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I politely disagree

Rob

9. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know that what you say here is very aggravating, and threatens the livelihoods, of those who repair watches for a living. It also, directly and indirectly, hurts the hobbyist and everyday watch-wearers who are the ultimate consumers here. It's outrageous for the Swiss to carry on like this once a watch is outside of any manufacturer's warranty. If they can make money just selling the parts to watchmakers, why not just do it? It's another cynical take on "enhanced" obsolescence. Make it impractical to repair and they'll have to buy a new one.
    IMHO, there may be an outside chance that just wearing something on the wrist will condition people to continue with that feeling. It may not be a lot, but the idea gives a little hope to watch manufacturers and secondary marketeers. At least it's something. Time will be telling. Cheers.

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well ok, apart from whoever that was.

11. GJH

GJH Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 26, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #61 GJH, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Interesting Jeff...
    As I see more Millennials getting into the workforce and looking for upward mobility, they realize that the "Old Guy"
    boss of his/hers is wearing a nice timepiece. In many cases they want to emulate this and go with a mechanical watch.
    It is also easier to casually glance at the wrist in a meeting vs. pulling out the smart phone and being more obvious.
    Dad also wore a watch and they realize that maybe they should "Act Grownup." Kids also like to do things that are considered "Old-School" these days too.
    Anyway, when I want to know the time, I can get that from a million places... I can look at that vintage mechanical beauty on my wrist a dozen times a day and could care less what time it is.
    G

12. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps I'm old fashioned. I still use a Sanyo solar powered calculator from the 1980's. I wear a Casio watch that I can depend on for the right time, as I wouldn't be much of a clock repairman if I couldn't leave my customers with their clock on time. I don"t worry about taking it off for a swim or a shower. It survives my active lifestyle much better than a delicate high end clock would. And I can replace it for under $100 when it finally stops working to my satisfaction.

13. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  14. Nookster

Nookster Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's like the stock market, they go up, and they go down. I see the rare watches still commanding high prices like that Rolex that sold this week for over $5Mill.