Hidden Key 18s Cases

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kevin Neathery, Jul 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have always thought the idea was interesting of the hidden key in the stem. Out of John's collection I manged to get 2 and I am looking for more just because I like them

I got to thinking though....how common are they? Do they command a higher premium over a non hidden key case?

I have my eye on a watch that has a hidden key but if I am chasing after a rather common thing thinking it is not just interesting but scarce....I want to make sure my thinking is correct and I am not paying higher for something that is not worth any more than a regular coin case.

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one and have often wondered the same thing. :)

3. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There used to be a note in the price guides I think, about an adder for hidden key.

Keith R...

4. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My out of date guide is at home at the moment. I remember seeing that somewhere in the front section of the book. That said, the book and reality are not always the same thing.

5. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's worth whatever you're prepared to pay for it.
    If you like it, or find it interesting, then buy it.

Kevin Neathery likes this.
  6. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a dangerous thought there. :) It's worth is actually what the average is paid for it in a larger market. One person can spend $800 for a beat up 992 with the wrong dial and a cross threaded case and bad staff.....does not mean that the watch is worth $800 when put back out on the open market in the same condition. At that point the real market value comes into play when a wider buying group then values it mostly the same and pays accordingly.

The issue is that when searching to try and see if the feature of the screw down key plays a role in price.....It is hard to tell because of the wide variety of movements that were used in them. Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, Rockford, Cornell.....So unless you can find the exact same model movement in the same condition in a non hidden key case of similar quality and condition you would have 1 to go by to start with.

I was wondering if it is a general situation with collectors that if you find one with a hidden key that you are more likely willing to buy that over a similar one without. Then if you would pay a bit more because of it.

Then it also comes to how often that kind of case is seen. It is like the screw down crown type cases. I like the one I have because it is an interesting feature. I don't see them often and when I do, they are usually not listed as such.

ArcticCollector likes this.
  7. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    KW cases with a hidden key are worth substantially more than ones without. How much of a difference depends on condition and the available buyers.

8. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Greg... everyone that collects key winds should have one.... There are plenty around... If advertised as “Hidden Key” they will bring more money... the trick is to identify the case without the seller realizing it has that feature .... :) Easy to do if you study the cases and their unique features..

9. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I never cared whether the 'key in case' concept was rare but did acquire one just because I found it a unique and super idea for storing keys.

Waltham 18s mdl 1857 649612 key in case.jpg Waltham 18s mdl 1857 649612 key in case mvt 2 cpd.jpg Waltham 18s mdl 1857 649612 key in case case logo.jpg Waltham 18s mdl 1857 649612 key in case dial cpd.jpg

10. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like cases that have something odd. Hidden hinge, screw down crown hidden key, Antimagnetic shield etc....

Greg Frauenhoff likes this.
  11. ArcticCollector

ArcticCollector Registered User

Nov 18, 2017
    Male
    Petrochemical Operations
    Alaska
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From a value perspective this is all subjective.

A watch is worth what the buyer and seller agree on.

That said, I like to think of the value as what I figure I could reasonably see actualized if I sold it in a month or twos time.

Now, some watches will be more valuable to you in comparison to what you could see in a regular sale.

I have a 23j Illinois Bunn Special with a rare case and dial. It appears to be all original and is worth quite a bit more than I paid for it. I don’t plan on selling it though, so really it has more value to me than the money it would generate.

12. Brian C.

Brian C. Registered User

Jun 9, 2001
    NH
    Country Flag:
    I've seen many regular key wind cases in my time, but only a few key in case ones.

13. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    This is the only one that I have.
    DSCF0142.JPG DSCF0143.JPG DSCF0148.JPG

Nick DSCF0145.JPG

14. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I thought you might be interested in this English watch by Barraud & Lunds which includes this "removable stem key", which is a J.A.Lund patent #914 of 29/3/1870. This watch dates to 1876, and is one of two B&L watches which I have with the feature.

31 1 Barraud & Lunds.jpg 31 5 Barraud & Lunds.jpg 31 6 Barraud & Lunds.jpg

I don't know if Lund licensed his (British) patent in America, or whether someone else patented a design there.

Keith R..., Bila and Kevin Neathery like this.
  15. Mike M.

Mike M. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Male
    Hamburg, Germany or Central Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful watch!
    I have at times wondered if the idea for stem wind watches didn't stem from the hidden key cases. Your watch seems to support this.

16. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 Keith R..., Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Mike, one of the American Watch companies that experimented early with stem wind
    watches was the the United States Watch Co. of Marion NJ. The concept for stem
    winding goes back quite a bit on the English side.

Martin is showing you an English Barraud with a stem winding patent from about 1876.

Credit for the first American stem winding watch goes to the US Watch Co. Marion NJ
    in 1867.

The American watch companies entertained the need to go to stem wind watches and
    gave us transition models that provided key wind, stem wind and lever set watches
    at that time. Here is one of mine, Rockford sn# 66146 from about 1876.

Keith R...

103_7496 (800x600).jpg 103_7906 (800x600) (2).jpg 103_7922 (800x600).jpg

17. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hidden keys may predate Lund's patent, but stem winding is much older and other forms of keyless work a bit older than that.

It is generally described as a cheaper alternative to full stem winding. The "standard" form is the female key used in the Lund Brothers grade of watches.

upload_2018-7-9_12-44-7.png

here is another example in the higher grade that uses the male winding key.

upload_2018-7-9_12-50-28.png

18. rdixiemiller

rdixiemiller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Senior engineer at Toyota USA (Paint)
    North West Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a thread on a couple I own here a while back. The BW Raymond was discovered to be a hidden key case about a month after I bought it. The empty case was not advertised as a hidden hey, but it looked like it to me.

Hidden Key Cases

19. Mike M.

Mike M. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Male
    Hamburg, Germany or Central Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Keith and Tom,

I've never owned a Marion watch, but I did purchase the book by William Muir & Bernard Kraus at a regional a few years back. I probably should have read it.:(

I always just assumed (I know, I know) that stem winding evolved as an improvement over key winding. I think I'll head over to the European watch section to see what I can learn.

Keith R... likes this.
  20. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #20 Keith R..., Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Careful Mike, I wondered over to the European side and the next thing I know, I was hooked.
    Our American watches owe their development from our early American watch makers and English
    watch making in general. This is one of my latest restorations confirmed for the hallmarks 1832
    and a 17J conventional train. Many an old English patents can be googled.

This one is Lewis Samuel 1832 and the other a US Watch Co. Marion NJ 15J about 1868.
    The Lewis in sterling case and 17 size, the USWCo coin case 18 size.

Martin's hidden "Removable Stem Key" patent #914, dated 3/29/1870, just use Google. Our site Patents are not up and running yet.

For Tom's patents, just follow his Lund presentations.

Keith R...

100_2407 (800x600).jpg jj519 (800x600).jpg 103_6591 (800x600).jpg 103_7811 (800x600).jpg

Bildeborg likes this.
  21. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Keith,

Thomas Prest, at one time John Roger Arnold's foreman watchmaker, had his name on a patent for keyless work in October 1820, (English patent number 4501). This was the first commercially viable keyless winding system.

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  22. Bildeborg

Bildeborg Registered User

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Disabled/retired.
    Cornwall, England.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keith, your Lewis Samuel movement has to be the nicest decorated gilded movement I've ever seen.....truly beautiful!

Regards,

Jay.

23. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #23 Keith R..., Jul 11, 2018
    Thanks Graham and all the English contributors. Mike M, as Graham demonstrates,
    keyless winding could have been a reality as far back as 1820.

I have found my place in English watches with a target window for original watches and
    movements 1811 to 1825. I believe this time frame produces Verges, Rack levers, Cylinders,
    Levers (both conventional and runners with reverse planted trains), Savage 2's, STR's). I
    encourage all American collectors to dabble in this explosive stage of pocket watch
    development, that lead to our early American watches, right up to that 24J Bunn Special.
    My verge from 1811 and it times within 1 minute per day.

I do think Hidden keys and or stems, were an early means for watch owners to carry their
    watch of choice, without the need for a separate key or stem on hand to wind them.

Thanks Jay, we were typing at the same time!

Keith R...

KVERGE (800x600).jpg

24. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is not a big deal, but "keyless" does not equate to stem wind. There were pump wind, chain wind cover wind and lever wind examples at least and likely a few more. There is also Jacot's key attachment that is sometimes seen where the key is recessed into the inner back cover and fixed to the winding arbor. All of these variations were called keyless.

Prest was the first stem winding watch, but Phillipe was the first with winding and setting with Nicole & Capt very close behind in the 1840's if I recall correctly. Prest's patent still required a mechanism to set the hands although some of the early ones just used heavier hands which were moved directly by pushing on the minute hand. Those are confusing at first with no square arbor on the front or the back for setting.

Keith R... likes this.
  25. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 Keith R..., Jul 11, 2018
    Thanks Tom and Graham. Graham was helping me understand the history involved
    with English patents, starting with post #20. I'll take all the help I can get as a student,
    team!

Keith R...

26. Greg Campbell

Greg Campbell New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Here is a William H Bracy patented key that folds down and can stay with the watch or be removed. Only example I have seen.

B296256F-8175-4DEE-870D-B3A3937A7A17.jpeg CA9BCDAC-B02B-402A-A18B-37BBF23B9D6F.jpeg

27. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I've sen several English watches with this kind of device as an after-sale attachment. The following is a watch by James McCabe dated 1870, but I have no idea when the "key" was fitted.

90440 5 James McCabe.jpg