Hi ya'll

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Roger Orem, May 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roger Orem

Roger Orem Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 11, 2017
    Greetings to all , i am a new member just starting in the world of horology and want to specialize in pocket watches . It's going to be a challenge for many reasons . First i'm 54 years old and my eyesight is not that good , this is why i write in all caps all the time . I'm not yelling , it's just easier for me to see as i write . I worked construction 34 years after breaking my back and 10 years later , broke my neck . Mostly i did historic restoration along the east coast . I have always had a deep appreciation for antiques and a knack for anything mechanical . I built my own motorcycle engines when i was 12 and built car engines in my twenties for fun . At 47 i became disabled after much arguement with several doctors . At 52 my wife and i received custody of 5 grand daughters . I had one daughter in college , one son entering the navy , and one daughter in genius classes . Sittin on the front porch drinkin beer and complaining about politics is once a dream again . While i finally am receiving disability , i still have to do something to keep providing . While dealing in antiques and collectables helps , it is not enough . Anything mechanical facinates me and here i am with a new membership and a pile of broken antique watches that i am chompin at the bit to get started . I need to buy tools and get knowledge . Anybody out there have a quality set of tools for sale ? Anybody out there in my florida area of 33830 , bartow fl. , have some time to teach an old dog new tricks ? Anybody know where to get the telescope glasses i used to see in cartoons ? Thank you for any and all input , roger

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome, Roger, just hope you are not trying to make a quick buck as watchmaking expertise will take years of practice and loads of money for tools and repair parts, if any are available for some of your watches, you may have to have them made which will far exceed the sale price on most watches. I wish you luck, I started at 53 and have found it a very satisfying hobby but would hesitate to try to do it for money, just not that much work needed around here.

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Roger and welcome!
    You posted in the NAWCC Governance section of the board, which is really for the business of running the NAWCC, and has a limited audience. I'm going to move your post to 'Watch Repair'. I think you'll get a much better response there.

As for needing tools, there is a 'Tools Wanted' sticky posting in the Horological Tools section. Just remember, any buying and selling must be conducted by private message and not on the board.

4. Roger Orem

NAWCC Member

May 11, 2017
    Thanx dave , i will get this down asap . Havin fun so far and learning alot . All the best , roger

5. Roger Orem

NAWCC Member

May 11, 2017
    Hi , i live to learn , to teach . I don't need the quick buck but , want to bring what would be dead to the layman to life . Watchmaking is becoming a lost art as so many other trades have become . I love history and have stood in many civil war battlefields and wondered many things . I have held priceless historical artifacts in my posession only to give it back to where it belongs . I want to bring back to life anothers art and let all enjoy . If and when i become a good horogolist i hope i make all my fellow members proud of my work and restoration . I will be counting on all of you to assist me in my endeavor as i am sure i will have many questions . Thank you all for this venue and interest , roger

6. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board, Roger. I started learning watchmaking a few months ago. I bought some books and the CSOW(Chicago School of Watchmaking) course on DVD on eBay for $20. Then I did a lot of research about tools, new and vintage, their prices and how they are made. I would guess that researching tools has taken more of my time than learning watchmaking has. Plus endless hours watching what they were going for on the Bay and checking what new ones cost, taking in quality of course. Some tools that I've bought are no longer made, or at least I couldn't find any.
    I won a couple loads of pliers from a watchmakers estate a couple of days ago, two of them I've never seen before anywhere.
    I'm just a hobbyist though and got into watchmaking to fix my own watches, to repair and give some as gifts, and to repair and resell some if I can.
    But to give you a short answer to your question; books, some money, and a whole lot of research.

Robert

7. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 RJSoftware, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    De Carle, Practical Watch repairing. Not bad price wise and a good starting book.

Basic tools.

Rule #1. Bergeon. High priced name. Good tools but too high price. I avoid them.

A good set of watchmaker screw drivers. No need for Philips (or rarely used anyway). Quartz use phillips sometimes.
    A good set of swiss watchmaker non magnetic tweezers. Thin tips better.

K & D staking set. Inverto means you can stick a stake in upside down. A staking set is the main go to tool.

You can get away with no mainspring winders if your fingers are nimble enough.

At least 2 hands free loupes. This is not a magna-visor, these are more powerful. A 10x and 15x is a must for me.
    The loupe goes on one eye and has a strap that goes around head. They make the kind with black plastic strap that has metal coil in it and they are more comfortable than the curled bare wire type. They dig into scalp.

A magna-visor with light. Magna-visors are low magnification but multiple lens distorts sight. But good for when real close magnification is not needed.

An ultra sonic cleaner. It's a must have. Avoid the basket fluid spinner types unless you got the dough. The older basket fluid spinner type cleaning machines where not ultrasonic at all. But now they have hi-brids that spin fluid and use ultrasonic. Keep in mind ultrasonic does the job.

Make sure you get a real ultrasonic as some jewelry cleaning machines have the word ultrasonic but if it don't have transducers then it's not ultrasonic. You can tell by how cheap they are. Look up the frequency real ultrasonic usually state it. Ultrasonic works by causing cavitations (air pockets) and higher frequency is needed. The fake ones use an AC solenoid like the old buzzers did and they don't cut it at all.

Hand pullers and hand pressers. Get the blue crab watch case opener. If you can find a small brass knife is good for opening some cases.

Oil dippers.

Work in a shallow tray. Get use to crawling on the floor looking for parts. Some have additional block/wood on top of bench so that work can be done near head height or neck height so as to not strain/bend neck while working.

Main job is restoring broken staffs. Replace for now. K & D makes a staff remover that allows you to remove a broken staff without damaging the balance wheel too much. Later you can get a lathe to do it properly and learn how to turn a staff.

Mainspring replacement and hairspring correcting.

Get parts by winning auctions of parts watches. Go cheap, if you miss try again. No hurry. This will build your inventory.

Finger tip cots are good.

Secret ingredient. Zippo lighter fluid (Naptha) does miracles. Loosens up old oil. Use a small minced garlic jar and a good squirt of Zippo. Put lid on and shake movement in fluid. Zippo will not hurt anything but maybe paper dials. Use a hair dryer to dry out movement of zippo instantly. Hold in hand and don't get too hot. Too much heat can ruin shellaced in jewels. This is a good initial cleaning that can get many watches moving again. This kind of cleaning is referred to as a "Duncan swish". You dunk it in the tank and swish it around". It is frowned upon but I look at it as a good initial incentive cleaning.

Still they need to be disassembled and serviced properly, especially the mainspring. Use a very small drop on oil dippers to lube the pivots.

This should get you started.
    Good luck
    RJ