Hi. How can I best polish clean up this clock?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Compumind, Aug 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Compumind

Compumind Registered User

Aug 25, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It's up to you. The brown paint might have been original, if the wood used in the case was less than perfect. But of course you could strip all the paint off and see what is underneath. If it's nice-looking wood, then you could just polish it and leave it be. If not, you could stain it and then polish it.

I've just looked at your photos again and I agree the paint does look as if it is not original. Just a thought - are you sure the front of the case is made of the same wood as the backboard?

It's your choice - if you don't like how it looks at the moment, see what you can do. After all, it's not a priceless antique.

JTD

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My wife's late grandfather painted everything, including clocks. I doubt that he was the only one from his era who did that :)

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    He certainly wasn't! I once had a nice Gebr. Resch which had been painted with scarlet high-gloss paint. It took me weeks of hard work to get it off and even then I kept noticing a tiny bit I had missed in a crack or seam.

JTD