French Hi could anybody assist

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Leon martin, Jul 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leon martin

Leon martin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi its Leon
    I just joined.
    It's my first post.
    I do have a few clocks.
    Could somebody help me identify this clock including the maker and age.
    Is it any good? 20200725_102351.jpg 20200725_103151 - up.jpg 20200725_102409 up3.jpg a.jpg b.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Leon martin

Leon martin New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Some more pics c.jpg d.jpg

Attached Files:

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    This is a French clock, manufactured by Farcot & Cie.. This company was a prolific maker of all kinds of unusual clocks and they are of good quality. They often have these open escapements, like yours

Unfortunately your pictures are so dark it is hard to see very much of the clock itself - it seems to be blue and look very attractive. I suppose it may date from about 1880, but others may be able to date it more exactly.

JTD

4. svenedin

svenedin Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Male
    Doctor of Medicine (Military)
    Surrey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock looks badly in need of servicing. There is a huge amount of oil staining on the back plate. It suggests someone just added a lot of oil at some point without taking the clock apart for cleaning. Adding oil like that creates a horrible mixture of dirt and oil which acts like a grinding paste. French clocks are generally very durable though so with disassembly, cleaning and re-lubrication (but not too much!) I'm sure it will be fine.

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Yes, as said above, your clock is French and was indeed made by Farcot & Cie, sometime between 1880 and 1900. I can only add that this particular type of wall clock is commonly referred to as "pendule boulangère" (baker's clock).

Regards.