Hettich Transistor? What is it?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by AndyDWA, Sep 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 AndyDWA, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
    Sorry - typed Kettic but just discovered it is "HETTICH". If a mod could edit the subject I'd appreciate it.

I was offered this clock today but have no idea what it is or what I would offer for it (I'm not asking for valuations).

The name on the dial is Hettich and the fine print on the back says Germany (I couldn't read the other fine print). The back and base are ceramic/porcelain.

I assume it is a transistor clock of sorts (I don't know anything about electronics). It appears to require a large battery but I don't know if it would take a standard D-Cell or a proprietary battery? The battery chamber is two large spring-loaded plates. One side is "flat" while the other has protrusions. My assumption is that the flat side would accept the positive terminal? I don't know if there is a second battery chamber in the base.

Any suggestions on battery size/voltage? Any idea of age? What is the likelihood it will run with the right battery?

Is it "common as muck" or is it a one-of-a-kind-why-didn't-you-buy-it-you-fool?

Thanks for any info.

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Kettic Transistor? What is it?

Likely a moderator will move this to the electric horology forum. Search that forum for "Hettich". I found lots of info, although nothing exactly like this one. I would agree the "flat" side is likely the positive terminal. It would appear that standard batteries would be used. Check this thread out:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?143947-Hettich-Electro-Mechanical-clock-out-of-beat

With the two plates flat, measure that distance. That would be an indication whether it's a C or D sized battery.

I'd be inclined to purchase this clock just because of the glass work and the ornate base.

Kurt

3. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks Kurt. After I realised my spelling mistake, I did find some info and will continue to look through similar threads.

My dilemma is that we are not - technically - interested in electric clocks, but that mainly applies to quartz. We do currently have one* electronic clock in our official "collection" and it doesn't compare to this one in either style or mechanical interest - but it works.

On the other hand, my wife has seen the pics of this clock and likes it, so it will most likely come down to price - which hasn't yet been discussed. The battery space is larger than C-cell but I wasn't even sure if a clock like this takes a standard battery at all or a dedicated battery pack that may or may not be 1.5V. I'd hate to fry it by using the wrong battery.

*Actually, we kind have two electric clocks in the collection after we were recently given a working Franklin Mint porcelain carousel clock. But I'm not yet certain I count that as part of the "collection" :)

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

this is an interesting Hettich Floating Balance clock, electro-mechanic, from the 60ies in a verry unusual and nice shape, I´d certaily would be proud of owning that one. In principle it is a weight powered time only movement with a second-beating large balance suspended by a left-and right hand wound temperature compensating helical hairspring.The weight is lifted up by a "kick-wind" electromagnet every ca 50seconds.I´ve seen quiet a lot of them,these are quality clocks,but never in this shape.Grab it if the price is right,or I´ll do!
    Best
    Burkhard

BTW this thread should be moved to the electric sub-Forum imho.
    B

5. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks Burkhard. I think I will be taking another look at it now that I've read some of your advice in other threads. Hopefully it just needs some simple attention to get it going again.

I'm happy for the thread to be moved if a mod chooses to move it.

6. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

collums and base look porcelain in that one,the dome looks like cut glass,or is it plastic?A verry attractive design,I´m sure it can be made running!
    Burkhard

7. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Pretty sure the dome is glass. The whole clock is in terrific condition except for some corrosion in the battery area.

I didn't look at the movement because I didn't expect it to be anything special. I realise now I was wrong :)

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #8 roughbarked, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

The battery was typically a D size.

The electronics is a solienoid that provides the kick when the winding of the clock runs down to the point where the electronic points touch and switch the solenoid on.
    The kick throws the small weight seen on the right side of the clock upwards and as it does so, two pawls will both slip and grip within a clutch wheel. The weight thus wound up will turn the wheels until it reaches the bottom of its arc at which time the solenoid will kick it back to the top. This will result in a couple of noises every few minutes as the clock rewinds itself. Some people get quite irritated by these sounds. Otherwise it is a gentle ticking as the clock otherwise runes relatively silently.

It can be quite a skill learning to suddenly be confronted with adjusting one of these clutch arrangements without instructions. Both pawls and their springs need to operate perfectly or there may be a number of issues that occur. The first of these problems is that the weight won't stay up when kicked. It may fall down and stay down but usually this results it it being continually kicked back up only to fall down and be kicjked again.

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

Here is a photo I've just taken of another Hettich that has been in my possession since about 1980. The clock is set up differently so it can show the workings better than your photo.[​IMG] the clutch wheel is in behind the top hole. You should be able to see the contact points also. As the small weighted lever falls, the clock will run until the contact points connest, which kicks the lever back up.

10. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

the movement even has maintaining power for the moment of the kick-winding action.Realy an intelligent design!
    Burkhard

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

Yes and they mostly still work unless someone broke them or the battery leaked.

12. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Looked at it again today but the asking price is beyond my reach, which wasn't the vibe I got when I first saw it.

Bummer.

If it was mechanical, I'd consider digging deep for something that looked like this - but electro isn't really my thing so it needs to be moderately cheap to sway me. Since it isn't running and I don't do electronics, I have to value it mostly on appearance - but I don't need an expensive paperweight.

Thanks for all the advice. At least I've learned something and I'll know what I'm looking at next time I see one like this.

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #13 roughbarked, Sep 7, 2017

I know we are not supposed to talk values but asking prices are surely a different kettle of fish.

You said your other half liked the clock.. What price is too much for one that she enjoys dusting?

14. AndyDWA

AndyDWA Registered User

Dec 26, 2013
    Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 AndyDWA, Sep 7, 2017
    I don't want to get into my cheap nature :) but let's just say, I'd rather save the money to put toward a nice mechanical clock for my wife to dust.

15. Edwardo

Edwardo Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Technically speaking it is a mechanical clock
    It just uses a magnet to wind it, not a key
    If I remember correctly, Smiths got into big trouble for ripping off the design and I think Hettich ended up selling the rights and retiring from business

16. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it is a gravity driven clock with electric winding by the sound of it. Many turret clocks are wound by the same basic principal.

17. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Indeed. The balance can spin but the hands won't move unless the weight is falling.

18. TQ60

TQ60 Registered User

Sep 15, 2016
    Madera CA
    Country Flag:
    One common term for this type of movement is "self winding".

It is not an electric clock at all but it does have an electric device built in to wind it

Car clocks from the early days were of this type as well.