• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Herter Brothers Clock

djstucker

May 28, 2016
Valencia, CA
Country
Region
Anyone ever seen a clock case and clock movement by Herter Brothers? I have not. It looks like a French movement but it’s marked Herter Brothers New York. I will attach photos later.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Anyone ever seen a clock case and clock movement by Herter Brothers? I have not. It looks like a French movement but it’s marked Herter Brothers New York. I will attach photos later.
DJ,

Herter Brothers were well respected furniture manufacturers, post Civil War period through the end of the 19th century, I believe. They did not make clocks. Most likely, they custom built a case for the French movement that you mentioned above, or did so for multiple clocks for sale under their name.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your clock.

Regards.

Reactions: djstucker

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. If you do an internet image search, a few clocks in Herter Brothers cases come up. As with most of the Herter Brothers furniture, the cases look amazing.

djstucker

May 28, 2016
Valencia, CA
Country
Region
Yeah, I was reading about them and it seemed they were more furniture than anything. This is an interesting one. I couldn’t turn up much on Google. I’m rebuilding the movement for a friend. Apparently the clock belonged to the second governor of Oaklahoma. I forgot to snap a pic of the dial when I was out in my shop, but see the attached photos of the case and movement. Obviously I’m in the middle of the refurb.
62E1B220-C6B6-4480-8E46-93D3A18696D7.jpeg 1DEBE105-8839-4040-8055-7C9A626BA739.jpeg BA2D7105-35A1-49F8-9FA5-32A9C11EB909.jpeg 5C6F4C5D-8D3E-469E-8E84-5C671F9ADCF8.jpeg 95BA6185-AFCD-4B97-B40E-06717AE2320D.jpeg 76359169-5256-4C57-983E-45A51DC132FD.jpeg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
;
Yeah, I was reading about them and it seemed they were more furniture than anything. This is an interesting one. I couldn’t turn up much on Google. I’m rebuilding the movement for a friend. Apparently the clock belonged to the second governor of Oaklahoma. I forgot to snap a pic of the dial when I was out in my shop, but see the attached photos of the case and movement. Obviously I’m in the middle of the refurb.
View attachment 414708 View attachment 414709 View attachment 414710 View attachment 414711 View attachment 414712 View attachment 414713
DJ,

A quick search of the message board indicates that this is only the third time that the maker JBD has appeared.

French boulle mantle clock any info on maker and age

Regards.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
The Herter Brothers (Gustave and Christian) were more than just furniture makers. They were important Victorian interior decorators who provided everything required to create the most fashionable and sumptuous interiors after the Civil War into the early 20th century. They received commissions to design and provide the furniture, drapes, wall paper, wood work, etc. for crème de la crème clients including the Vanderbilts.

Their production included clock cases to house the movements of others. To my knowledge, they did NOT produce the movements. For example, here's a George Jones astronomical regular in a Herter Brothers case:

George-Jones-Astronomical-Regulator-in-Herter-Bros.png

Pretty snazzy stuff, yes?

There's much info out there about this very important design firm. To learn about other examples of killer stuff that represented the pinnacle of their production, see "19th-Century America: Furniture and Other Decorative Arts" which is the catalog of the landmark 1970 exhibit at the Metropolitan. See entries #208 through 215.

The clock that is the subject of this posting, though quite nice, I suspect was offered by them towards the end of their existence. I doubt they had little involvement with making the case or movement. They retailed the clock and just put their name on the dial.

There were other firms like them. See this posting re: a wall clock produced by the once important Boston firm, Irving & Casson:

Who the heck is Irving and Casson??

They too provided everything from soup to nuts for the interiors of their wealthy clients. One of their last important commissions was for the offices at the U.N.

The clock discussed in this thread is a bit different than the subject clock of the Irving and Casson thread in that it is an example of the wonderful carving that was still provided by them to clients in the early 20th century and was used to produce the wood work in everything from gracious homes to college chapels (e.g., Duke U) and various churches.

RM

pamtillinghast

New User
Sep 8, 2021
Country
Greetings! A Herter Bros Grandfather clock case has been in my family for many generations. We are now needing to move it to a new 'home'. Can anyone suggest how I might have it valued and ultimately sold? The piece appears in Herter Brothers: Furniture and Interiors for a Gilded Age by Katherine S Howe, identified as 'in private collection", so I'm confident that it is genuine. Any suggestions are gratefully received. Thanks

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Hi Pam

Welcome to the message board. The usual way to get a valuation (and a recommendation for good furniture removalists) would be to go to a reputable auction house near where you live.

That being said, we would love to see photos of the clock if you would care to share, and if you could indicate the region you live in (not too much information, in case it does turn out to be a valuable piece) someone might have some more direct advice relevant to your circumstance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-