Herschede repair advice...

rpludwig

Feb 5, 2013
Gentlemen,

Been on this excellent forum many years ago for advice on the same Herschede Hall Clock c. 1915, 7 tube 2 weights, Westminster & Canterbury chimes.

Back again with a new issue and seeking advice.

1. The minute hand is held in place in it's proper position by a slotted cup washer with a tapered pin holding it in place. There is wiggle room in the minute hand enough to cause it to move inward (toward the face of the clock) and thus intersect (hang up) on the hour hand stopping the clock. I have placed a small slotted lock washer behind/under the cup washer and in front of the minute hand as a spacer. This is holding the minute hand firmly in place and properly spaced relative to the hour hand and plumb with the face of the clock. The clock is now back running with no issues (yet). Is this a reasonable solution to the issue, and/or is there a better approach? Can you recommend a source for replacement parts (cup washer & pin)?

2. Setting the beat - I have no electronic gizmo that you folks use to set the beat properly, however I do have good ears and an electronic metronome used for music applications as a jazz drummer. It is in beat to my ears, the metronome, and presently keeping time. Is there a different gadget available I should look into or is this sufficient?

3. We now live in New Bern, NC (coastal region), I've been unable to find a reliable horologist in the area to service the clock. It is time for a complete overhaul and likely some bushing work in a few areas. I do oil the bushings sparingly every 3-4 years with proper clock oil. Any recommendations from your NAWCC community nearby? (I can take the movement and weights/chimes sans case to a reputable shop for such bench work).

thanks in advance for your advice. I have downloaded pics of the clock and the movement issue #1 above.
Ron

Herschede 2.jpg Herschede 1.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Can't argue with success. If it's working, it's OK. Your ear will be plenty good enough for setting the beat. No need for expensive equipment. :)

rpludwig

Feb 5, 2013
Gentlemen,

Been on this excellent forum many years ago for advice on the same Herschede Hall Clock c. 1915, 7 tube 2 weights, Westminster & Canterbury chimes.

Back again with a new issue and seeking advice.

1. The minute hand is held in place in it's proper position by a slotted cup washer with a tapered pin holding it in place. There is wiggle room in the minute hand enough to cause it to move inward (toward the face of the clock) and thus intersect (hang up) on the hour hand stopping the clock. I have placed a small slotted lock washer behind/under the cup washer and in front of the minute hand as a spacer. This is holding the minute hand firmly in place and properly spaced relative to the hour hand and plumb with the face of the clock. The clock is now back running with no issues (yet). Is this a reasonable solution to the issue, and/or is there a better approach? Can you recommend a source for replacement parts (cup washer & pin)?

2. Setting the beat - I have no electronic gizmo that you folks use to set the beat properly, however I do have good ears and an electronic metronome used for music applications as a jazz drummer. It is in beat to my ears, the metronome, and presently keeping time. Is there a different gadget available I should look into or is this sufficient?

3. We now live in New Bern, NC (coastal region), I've been unable to find a reliable horologist in the area to service the clock. It is time for a complete overhaul and likely some bushing work in a few areas. I do oil the bushings sparingly every 3-4 years with proper clock oil. Any recommendations from your NAWCC community nearby? (I can take the movement and weights/chimes sans case to a reputable shop for such bench work).

thanks in advance for your advice. I have downloaded pics of the clock and the movement issue #1 above.
Ron

View attachment 634569 View attachment 634570
Further to this Herschede, the chimes were hung on the rack, originally with a cord of some sort. Over the years, family members have replaced them as they failed with a variety of string, waxed cord, paracord, shoelaces, whatever. Recently one let loose (again) as I heard a chime fall to the floor of the clock.

My permanent solution, (certainly unconventional and not period correct) is simply zip-ties. Easily adjustable (up) as needed, no knots to tie, and no rot or wear over time. Just thought I'd share, perhaps others have done similar. Pics show the first six tubes zip-tied, the 7th still with paracord, soon to be zip-tied......fwiw

Herschede 4.jpg Herschede 3.jpg

Last edited:

rpludwig

Feb 5, 2013
perhaps so....time will tell...will report back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le5100kw
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff