• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Herschede - Pattern No. 146

Brett Berry

Aug 21, 2013
Topeka
Country
Region
My wife's Christmas present to me was this Herschede Hall Clock, Pattern No. 146, in Mahogany. It has a Winterhalder and Hofmeier 9 tube movement and is fitted with Herschede's ornate three vial mercurial pendulum. The clock is in unmolested original, running, condition. It's 99 inches high, 29 inches wide and 18 inches deep. Negotiations with the owner, an estate, began in May, 2018, and the clock was finally purchased and picked up by me and my clock-guy last Saturday from a Victorian house where it had sat unmoved since 1963. The late owner's parents received the clock as a wedding gift in 1910, the year to which I would date the clock. It had the original key and winding crank. The original owners' grandson is an inductee to the baseball hall-of-fame, but the clock was obtained from the estate of that person's uncle. I have wanted a Herschede since I was sixteen. It only took 36 years for me to find the right one. It's a keeper, and so is my wife! The photographs were taken at the late owner's house.

Herschede 146 - 1.jpg Herschede 146 - 2.jpg Herschede 146 - 4.jpg Herschede 146 - 5.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
jeez... i got socks :)

Reactions: tkmc37

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Wow! Great Clock with a very interesting provenance. Hopefully it will now be your family's heirloom and enjoy its new lease on life for generations to come.
Congrats! :coolsign: And thanks for sharing.

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
I think you did about as well as you could for a Herschede! Fantastic big clock and I'd love to have a clock in my herd with a mercury pendulum. Nice find, congrats!

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
I just noticed you have been here 5 years and this is your second post. welcome back!

that mercury pendulum is the bee's knees. they are highly sought after by Herschede aficionados. as I am sure you know, this one if it is indeed 1910, it predates the time Herschede started making their own movements.

upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
Country
Wish I had tall enough ceilings in my home to have a 99 inch tall clock!

Brett Berry

Aug 21, 2013
Topeka
Country
Region
I just noticed you have been here 5 years and this is your second post. welcome back!

that mercury pendulum is the bee's knees. they are highly sought after by Herschede aficionados. as I am sure you know, this one if it is indeed 1910, it predates the time Herschede started making their own movements.
Thanks for your comment. I knew the Mercury compensating pendulum was an accessory and, consequently, unusual. The clock must fall about 1910 as that is about the time Herschede started calling them "Crown Hall Clocks." It has Herschede's crown trademark on a small spandrel centered just under the moon dial. It is not attached, but rather stamped. It looks like the crown is stamped over an area that may have had the Winterhalder and Hofmeier initials etched into the spandrel originally. If the crown trademark coincides with Herschede's use of "Crown Hall Clocks," then the 1910 estimate for this clock would be pretty accurate and making it one of the last of Herschede's clocks before they began installing their own U.S. manufactured movements in 1911.

Reactions: tkmc37

AlpineTime

NAWCC Member
Jan 31, 2016
Country
Your wife has wonderful taste in clocks!. She certainly must feel that way about her husband, too. That's just an extraordinary Herschede with a great provenance. Early ones like that seldom surface. I wouldn't be surprised if the Winterhalder movement, even as old as it is, is more reliable than Herschede's own. What a prize!

Steve

Brett Berry

Aug 21, 2013
Topeka
Country
Region
Your wife has wonderful taste in clocks!. She certainly must feel that way about her husband, too. That's just an extraordinary Herschede with a great provenance. Early ones like that seldom surface. I wouldn't be surprised if the Winterhalder movement, even as old as it is, is more reliable than Herschede's own. What a prize!

Steve
Thanks! I haven't seen the clock for two years--it's divided between a refinisher who is going to revive the old finish and a clock maker for restoration of the movement. I'm anxious to have it back someday. This Winterhalder and Hofmeier movement is certainly larger than the Herschede movements. The only disappointment is three of the tubular bells have cracks so sometimes a note will sound a little flat. The estate from whence it came was that of Jim Seaver, and it was his parent's wedding present from the bride's mother. Jim Seaver's nephew was the recently deceased Tom Seaver, whose fame precedes him.

I see that you now have in your possession a great Herschede which you search for as long as I did. Congrats on finally getting it!

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region

Steve

yes, i would agree with you about your reliability comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyghost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-