Herschede Pattern 2013 mantel clock, an eBay find

AlpineTime

NAWCC Member
Jan 31, 2016
Country
This thread begins as pure sharing of an eBay coup...pure showing off, if you will. No questions here, but useful observations are always welcome. About the time I think I’ve become a bit of an expert is when I find out what a beginner I am.

I’ve wanted one of these 2013’s for almost the entire 40 years I’ve been collecting Herschede mantel clocks. This one appeared on eBay with a “Buy it Now” price of $400. After a couple of the prices I had seen for these, I hit the button with hardly a glance at the photos. When it arrived, it was all there and there was nothing wrong with it. But it was very, very dirty. I’m not diligent about “before” pictures and for that I apologize, but the “after” photos show what emerged from disassembly, meticulous cleaning and two coats of the Kiwi Bois paste wax that I still have.

When the side grilles came out, they revealed remnants of the original fabric still glued around the edges. A separate thread under Case Construction and Restoration describes how I matched and replaced the fabric and reinstalled the grilles.

These photos are of just the rehabilitated case. Overhauling the movement is next in line behind another I’m currently working on. It is S/N 31974, a Model 10 Westminster-only, made just before Herschede switched from straight-grained finishing of the plates to spot damascening. It’s very dirty and not currently presentable for its portrait. That will come later if there’s interest, but Herschede devotees will be familiar with this movement. Abbey’s listing places its time of manufacture at 1925.

Come to think of it, I have a question after all: Just how rare is the Pattern 2013 clock? We know that it was Herschede’s top-of-the-line mantel clock in the 1920’s (including both bracket and tambour styles), retailing for $110 to $125 in the 1927 catalog, depending on options selected. That would tend to limit the population in its own time, to say nothing of ours. One recent eBay seller was offering one for $8,000(!), claiming only five were ever sold. I thought he was misinformed and told him so but his price didn’t move. The clock left the eBay site unsold. I bought another for too much money, was throughly dissatisfied with the condition and misrepresentation of what was to come with it, and returned it for a refund. Until this one appeared, I’d often wished I’d kept it, deficiencies notwithstanding.

Somebody said in a posting here on the Forum, “Never believe what a seller tells you”, but the story that came with this clock is that my seller bought it at an estate sale whose trustee told her that it had occupied the mantelpiece at the same grand house where my seller bought it, running, until it stopped running. After that, it was consigned to the basement where it was dusty but dry, where it stayed until the estate was dispersed. Plausible, and it’s the only story I have.

The final photo, just to make this thread thoroughly nauseating, is of the lineup...all the Herschede bracket-style mantel clocks I’ve managed to accumulate in 40 years. There are some tambours, too, but I like these the best.

Steve
8F4E4B95-F787-4DB9-BF4D-0FF979FD2929.jpeg DE4D5929-2F12-45F6-8C10-27FDD022F035.jpeg 2AD12369-5A86-47A4-B4AB-9C18853719BA.jpeg BEAD10E8-F0E5-4A58-962C-D9D6BDF68874.jpeg 5076E3C5-D53B-4B3B-B03D-7BD3D41A6014.jpeg 799541A1-68EE-46EA-BCE6-1A9AE7430DB7.jpeg ADE5F849-8632-44F2-9E61-CECB4D75828D.jpeg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
You've got a great collection of Herschede 'cathedrals'. Model 2013 appears in the catalogs as early as 1923 and while it is among the more ornate offerings, it was still a production model like all the others: plenty more than five sold and certainly not for 8000 dollars.
Dual chime versions of the 2013 started appearing around 1926 and usually had raised numerals.
Not as common as some of the other upright 'cathedrals' but not exceedingly rarer either.
Sometimes it benefits to put a disappointing clock aside for a while, then give it a go at restoration later on.
I remember my first Herschede tambour was a wreck on arrival. Case was badly heat-damaged and the finish had melded away.
With plenty of shellac and wood polish, the case came back to life. Nice sounding chimes too.
Not an easy clock for maintenance access, but it's solid quality and blows away the other American-made chime clocks.
I don't have an advertisement specially showing the 2013 but here's an advertisement showing some other models:

JC 1924 10.jpg

AlpineTime

NAWCC Member
Jan 31, 2016
Country
There's a reprint of four catalogs, 1904 - 1927 that may itself be out of print now but is widely circulated. The last time I looked, there was a copy for sale on eBay a few pages down under "Herschede". The 2013 appears in the 1927 catalog. If my scanner was working, I'd attach a picture of the page, but you might want to see if that reprint is still available. It think the price was reasonable.
At my age, I don't put projects aside any more. If I don't do them now, there's a good chance I won't get to them at all. There are so many, all are enticing, and then there are so many tunes to play. A friend once put it very succinctly: "My projects will outlive me."

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I had figured you'd seen it already but the 1923 brochure on Abbeyclock also lists the No. 2013, noting its 'fine brass trimmings':

They're nice clocks but often overlooked in lieu of the large tubular bell chime hall clocks. I was disappointed to learn the 'Leading Authority' on Herschede had virtually nothing archived regarding the older mantel clocks and was less than interested. The only way to learn the history of these clocks is to go through those old advertisements, catalog reprints, and studying the clocks themselves.

AlpineTime

NAWCC Member
Jan 31, 2016
Country
Somebody put as much thought and energy into designing them as into the tall clocks. They don't seem to be under appreciated today, though. Bidding on eBay is brisk and Buy it Now offers go fast. My 2013 was a Buy it Now and I suspect it had only been up for minutes when I hit on it or it would have been gone. The price was very reasonable, yet I think the seller still made fair profit on it.
I have a nice Herschede tall clock, a Pattern 89. I like it very much but only have room for maybe one more that, for variety's sake, probably will be a Winterhalder & Hofmeier when I find just the right one for the right money. It's hard to call tall clocks collectible within the confines of an ordinary house.

Reactions: chimeclockfan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller