• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Herschede keeps stopping

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
It seems like I am always asking for help on this board, and not contributing much to it but I have to ask for help once again.
I have been working on a Herschede five tube grand father clock for some time now I cleaned , oiled and put it back together and it runs just fine for a week or maybe only one day then stops. When it stops I can feel a bind when I move the minuite hand like it is locked up I must not have put everything back together correctly. Any suggestions as to what I might look for. I have Connovers book on Herschede clocks but still can't figure this one out. Al

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Al, if it's still on your test stand, look for the activating lever hitting the stop pin as it rises. Correction will be resetting the wheel with the stop pin so it isn't close to the activating lever as it rises. It's intermittent because sometimes the lever slips past, and sometimes it doesn't.

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Hi,
Does it stop in the same place? that is to say is the minit hand in the same place when it stops?
Had a similar problem-and heard of a similar problem.Check the gathering palet for the chimes where it hits the stop pin.Sometimes it will make a groove that will prevent the warning for the quarter chime and then stop the clock.
tom

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
Harold I am frantic . I have misplaced the Conover repair guide I have for tthis clock. so I am not sure about the terminology on the parts you mention. Is the activation lever the same as the lifting lever assembly? Also is the stop pin on the Intermeadiate wheel? Thanks
Also Tom I checked the rack and it looks fine..Al

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I'm not sure either, Al, just going from experience on other makes. I could be right out to lunch on this one. Just follow the activating/lifting lever to see what it might run into that could stop its advance. If any wheel with a stop pin is set close to where the lever's path is, this will stop the clock. See if Mark Headrick's site (abbey clocks)has anything that may help. You probably will need to catch it in a jammed position to see what is happening.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Seems there's a power maintaining lever on the time train. Could that be getting in the way? Pictures of the movement would sure help.

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
Harold I have caught it in a jammed position but can't seem to figure out why it is jammed. Its got to be somthing simple I just can' t see it. I did move the wheel back Ill see what happens .Thanks Al

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Al, about all you can do is get a good light on it and be able to look at it from all angles when it's jammed to see where the problem is. I've had similar problems with other makes that took a long time to catch it in the act, and see where the problem is.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm working on one of these now. I discovered a similar problem, and it turned out that the lift arm has a little slop, and the helper spring was pushing it out toward the front of the movement, and it couldn't lift without binding. Just tensioning the helper spring toward the back side was enough to hold it in place.

Now, another problem if I can hijack the discussion for a while :) The chime side fan is an external mount, and it has an annoying banging caused by excessive end shake. Anyone encountered that before? Is it safe to try to bend the brass support closer to the plate? Sure don't want to break it! :)

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
I may have found the problem the long lifting lever ,that is pushed up by the lifting lever assembly was pressing aganst the plate. Infact it has worn a mark in the plate I tryed to bend it away from the plate some and I may have bent it just enough. I has been running since yesterday afternoon. we will see ? Al

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
sutter; That could be a problem too, Ill check that closer thanks Al

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
I was wrong the long lifting lever was not the problem. it still stopped every few hours. I have removed the entire assembly around the center wheel. removed the hour bridge ass'y minute tube ass'y,and it has been running for two days now. I am wondering if there is should be washer under the minute tube or under the intermediate shaft ass'y there is some play in the intermediate wheel pivot I am wondering if this can be a problem? Thanks for your thoughts Al

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sounds like you've eliminated any potential work for the movement to do. Most of the time stops occur during a work load like lifting levers. Not sure you're going to find the problem that way :) The intermediate wheel can function with a little movement since it's not doing much work and moves pretty slowly.

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
At least I now know that the problem is in the chime lifting area and not in some other part of the movement I will now put it back together. and try and find the problem Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukcanuck
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent