Herschede Hall Newton Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by dalking, Apr 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dalking

dalking Registered User

Mar 21, 2012
    I just bought this Herschede 8-day Newton Model Hall or Grandmother Clock. Before I walked into the Estate sale I said I wasn't buying another clock and ta dah! Here is my problem... I cannot remove the hour hand. It chimes an hour off and I have done this many times but the hour hand will not pull off no matter how hard I pull. I would appreciate any info you would like to share about the clock &/or how to remove the hour hand. I'm afraid I will break it if I keep pulling, but I really don't want to live with it on the wrong time.

-I will try to load pictures later. Currently it won't let me load them.

Thanks!!!

2. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User
    Donor Sponsor

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes, but not very often, hour hands can get really stuck to movement and
    it can be treacherous to pry them off by force, as this could cause damage to the
    hour and minute wheels.

Usually, the hand collet is slitted and a very small drop of light oil, soaking in over night
    may help in combination with a hand puller.

If the hour strike is off, you can also move try to move the hour hand to the correct position -
    but you'll still have to make it "turnable" to its original friction fit anyway.

For additional information about your clock, some pictures would be essential.

3. dalking

dalking Registered User

Mar 21, 2012
    Thank you for the help about removing the hour hand. I finally got it adjusted.
    Here are some photos of the clock. I really like the beautiful mellow chime.
    IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3067.JPG