Herschede grandfather clock

Chevy man

Jul 20, 2021
Country
I have been working on a family members Herschede PL78 it was transported without removing the weights or pendulum the pendulum got tiled completely off and discarded and nobody knows where it is. I purchase a used mechanism and replaced all the bent and broken parts but have no idea what length or weight the pendulum should be I purchased a after market that was supposed to be for the Herschede but it wil run 4-6 minutes then quit I have adjusted the pendulum weight up a d down leveled the clock but no go need help I’m not a master clock repair just frying to help a family member so not sure if it’s the wrong pendulum or something else is a problem. Help. Thanks

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Need photos, possibly a Jauch movement.

So you replaced the original movement? Do you still have the original movement?

Willie X

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
A used movement is a risky gamble. You could have ended up with something worn and unusable, which is what it sounds like your issue is. Sounds like a Jauch movement to me. The pendulum is also a risky thing to buy if you don’t know the exact length.

Chevy man

Jul 20, 2021
Country
Need photos, possibly a Jauch movement.

So you replaced the original movement? Do you still have the original movement?

Willie X
I didn’t replace the entire movement I bought a used one just to get the pieces that were broken or bent of of the used one mainly the hanger and parts to hold the pendulum the clock hasn’t been run that much it just sat in the corner for 15 plus years a elderly family member and it was given to her daughter after the had shipped her to SC But damaged tin the process

Chevy man

Jul 20, 2021
Country
I didn’t replace the entire movement I bought a used one just to get the pieces that were broken or bent of of the used one mainly the hanger and parts to hold the pendulum the clock hasn’t been run that much it just sat in the corner for 15 plus years a elderly family member and it was given to her daughter after the had shipped her to SC But damaged tin the process
I’ll get some pictures in the morning when I get back there

Chevy man

Jul 20, 2021
Country
I posted some pictures of the mechanism face ect let me know what you think. Thanks

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I merged two threads on this clock to keep everything together ;)

The 78cm on the last photo is the pendulum length (approximate).

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Assorted information about your movement from a Gebr. Jauch KG catalog.
Herschede went back and forth between using the German Jauch KG movements
or Herschede's own 1200 series movements in the chainwind grandmother/grandfather clocks. Your movement was made in November 1972
and would have been incorporated into a complete clock afterwards. The Jauch KG movements were cheaper to order but not the
highest quality movements ever made. If your movement was bought used it will need an overhaul before it can be expected to run.
Must have taken one huge brainfart to try moving the clock with pendulum and weights still hanging.
Also check that the chime rods survived the clock's "mishap move". I will admit the chimes on these clocks sound real nice.

Jauch KG 60500 Specs.jpg Jauch KG 60500.jpg

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
I could be all wet, but from the photos both chains are rubbing on the holes. The wheels aren't even close to being lined up with the holes.

Reactions: LenzkirchFan

Chevy man

Jul 20, 2021
Country
I merged two threads on this clock to keep everything together ;)

The 78cm on the last photo is the pendulum length (approximate).
Assorted information about your movement from a Gebr. Jauch KG catalog.
Herschede went back and forth between using the German Jauch KG movements
or Herschede's own 1200 series movements in the chainwind grandmother/grandfather clocks. Your movement was made in November 1972
and would have been incorporated into a complete clock afterwards. The Jauch KG movements were cheaper to order but not the
highest quality movements ever made. If your movement was bought used it will need an overhaul before it can be expected to run.
Must have taken one huge brainfart to try moving the clock with pendulum and weights still hanging.
Also check that the chime rods survived the clock's "mishap move". I will admit the chimes on these clocks sound real nice.

View attachment 663990 View attachment 663991
I appreciate you sending the attachments but I really have no idea what there saying I have a pendulum that I purchased that is supposed to be for this mechanism but I’m not sure of that that’s why I wanted the weight and length of the correct pendulum I have since been able to get the clock to run for 30-40 minutes and it stops not certain as to what that means but need a little guidance thanks

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
These clocks normally had wooden stick pendulums with a smaller bob. If the pendulum uses a large bob or heavy gridiron it may
be too much for this movement to handle. Weight chains should drop clear through the seatboard holes without any rubbing.
The movement must also be in good condition without any wear or bent pivots, which will hamper the clock's ability to run.
Even a hair of wear will cause problems everywhere.

Here is a 1972 catalog showing some Herschede clocks with the Jauch KG movements.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Usually that short run means two things. The movement is out of beat, or the movement is badly worn. In your case it could also mean you have the wrong parts somewhere.

That aluminum star washer, on top of the seat board, is there to locate the movement plate in the correct position.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller