Herschede Five Tubular Bell Grandfather Clock Chiming Question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Brian Renaud, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brian Renaud

Brian Renaud Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I have a mid 1950s Herschede five tubular bell, Westminster chime only, grandfather clock (not the 250). The timing runs great, but the chiming train runs through several (3 1/4 or even 4 1/4) Westminster chime cycles before striking on the hour. The clock has a slot for a night silencer, but whoever serviced the clock before I bought it used removed the silencer arm/lever. The chiming train didn't go through all of these cycles when I bought it a couple of years ago. It was one straight Westminster cycle then. I've earlier canvassed NAWCC members about installing/retrofitting a night silencer arm and received some responses, but this is a different issue. The (much heavier) chime weight drops probably twice as quickly over a week as do the other two weights. Any comments or recommendations on what the problem may be and potential fixes? Thanks for any input.

2. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like some oil has dried up and become sticky, or there is some wear in the movement. Either way, it's probably due for an overhaul. Some pictures would also be nice!

Isaac

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Brian,

I think Isaac may be on to something there. It sounds like the Quarter Rack is not being gathered reliably. If so, that could be due to wear or failing lubrication.

You'd have to catch it in the act to be certain. In order to do so, you could remove the hands and face/dial, then replace the minute hand to manually advance through several hours one quarter at a time to observe the movement's action. As you manually advance the minute hand, I would suggest that you apply force near the base of the hand and not at its tip. I think you're less likely to bend or damage the minute hand that way.

In any case, it sounds like you're overdue for some maintenance, possibly with some repair.

Good luck,

Bruce

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, pictures of the front of the movement please. Even better, a video. Put it on Youtube and link to it here.

5. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am currently servicing a 9 tube with the same problem. The Chime weight runs about 3 inches faster down than the others. After setting it up on the rack to run I discovered that the Chime gathering pallet pivot hole is worn up and down so that when it comes around it bounces up in the worn pivot hole and does not engage the teeth on the rack deeply enough. This allows the rack to re-drop allowing the chime cycle to repeat as many as three times before it catches enough to finish the cycle. It doesn't look wrong because at some point the auto correct resets at an hour strike.
    The solution is to bush the pivot hole front and back.

Check and see if this might be your problem as well

DPC

6. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I have a 9-tube Herschede that did the same thing a few years ago. I took the dial off, and, sure enough, someone had put springs to keep things shutting down at the right point, and one of those springs had stretched enough that it wasn't closing. A bit of oil on the pivot, and a bit stronger spring, and all was well.