Herschede Electric minute hand stops

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by D.P., May 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone,

I have a Herschede Electric grandfather clock that has a problem of the hands stopping when the clock gets to tripping the chime mechanism. The clock doesn't stop and does complet the chime sequence, but results in the clock losing time because of the hands not moving for a few minutes. I've already serviced it and wouldn't be surprised if I didn't put something back together right. I could find very little information on how these work so I did my best to get it working mostly well(keeping good time since last year). I would like it to chime so I figured I'd ask here for some advice before jumping back into it again.

Maybe it's just me, but I find this clock to be very temperamental. It'll work one way on the test stand then wig out in its case. Especially with the dial off. That dial seems to be very important to function as it will chime uncontrollably or stop outright if it's not on just right.

Thanks again everyone.

2. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A bit of an update. I worked up the courage to take it apart again and did some light cleaning. Escape wheel and verge were a little dirty. Oil had turned green from what I could see from wiping off pivots. Fought the paper clip looking spring connected to the mainspring mechanism(hate that thing). Found that the minute hand is attached to a cannon pinion like tube that more or less friction fitted. It's just loose enough to turn backwards when it comes to push the lever for the chime/strike. Don't want to do anything to the original part so I added paper washers in between the minute hand spacer and taper pin. Seems to work ok for now. Clock started to chime without stopping. Having the hammers attached seemed to cause it to do this. I set one hammer too far back out of the others, so I slacked all of them to just clear of the chime tubes and not resting on them. It appears to be working fine now, but I'll monitor it for time keeping. Once everything opens up I'll work on repairing the case. Front glass over the dial is missing and the back panel cloth is torn to shreds letting dust in I'm sure.