Herschede chime paper cone amplifier

timepast

Aug 3, 2006
Here is an electric Herschede ``Abbot`` model Westminster chime mantel clock.. The chime base is not attached to the case but suspended by a bracket attached to the front plate lower corner . Then there is a 90 degree rod from the base which suspend a wire and the paper amplifier cone which was glued ( don`t know what type of glue ) to an open grill at the base of the clock.

The cone is damaged/ripped from the grill. The chime sounds are so faint that I can barely hear them even with my ears next to the chimes.

Does anyone have any idea what type of paper is used or how to repair a large tear? The amplifer cone looks like a old radio speaker cone or old Edison windup phonograph speaker cone. The damaged cone has concentric ridges , is that for rigidity /stability of the paper or does it help with the amplification.?

Since I recieved this clock damaged I have no idea what it orginally sound like with the intact paper cone amplifier. This is a very small 7 1/2 inch tall clock , so I assume it only had a small voice or did it have a larger voice:???:

Thanks for any help as to what it should sound like or how to repair.
-> posts merged by system <-
Here are some more pictures 86543.jpg 86544.jpg 86545.jpg 86546.jpg

dkc599

NAWCC Member
Jan 21, 2006
That arrangement is a new one on me. With radio speaker cones the usual means of repair was with model glue, such as Duco cement. Same stuff as crystal cement for watches. Sticky tape was also used. It appears your cone is like the soft gray heavy duty paper that was used in old radio speakers. Good Luck in your restoration.

Time4Clocks

Jan 19, 2019
Country
Did you ever repair the cone on this clock? I have 2 and am researching information before beginning repair. Thanks, Ab

samblust

Feb 7, 2019
Country
I have several of these and would love to know if anyone has come up with a reasonable replacement for the cone. Mine, on various small Herschede and Revere branded clocks look just like speakers. At least what's left of them. Like old speakers, the paper has dried up and disintegrated. An easy fix would be great . Dream on!

mxfrank

Oct 27, 2011
This looks to be an ordinary speaker cone. You can't use a standard replacement speaker cone, because the center would be open to allow for the voice coil. But a paper dust cap for the center of a large speaker should do the trick. Something like this (no affiliation):

Paper Dust Caps (no lip) | Midwest Speaker Repair

The glues used in the old days were asphalt based, but modern speakers are made with a specific vinyl glue. Search "speaker adhesive". There are also repair glues which can work, if the tear isn't too large.

Reactions: Time4Clocks

Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2018
Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
Country
Region
The generally accepted way of repairing tears etc in old radio loudspeaker cones is by soaking layers of thin tissue paper in diluted PVA adhesive and laying them over the tear. You can actually get black tissue paper (gift wrap) which works even better and is virtually invisible once dry. Another good adhesive is "Copydex" which can be painted over splits, tears etc., remains flexible and dries to be almost invisible.

Phil

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I just got a similar Hershede in for repair and found the rotor frozen up. I don’t normally work on these, but it’s a friend. Someone had drilled a tiny hole in the back (small) end of the rotor, evidently, to oil the gears inside. I put a few drops of oil in and left over night. It began running, but binds occasionally. Dug through my bone pile and found a rotor just like it, but frozen up also. I drilled a tiny hole in it, shot brake cleaner in, let it sit a while, and it freed up. Drained out cleaner and put in a few drops of good synthetic oil. It runs very well now and is very quiet. Drives clock and chimes well. Will it last? Did I mess anything up? Suggestions?

Molson3003

Apr 14, 2020
Country
Region
Hello,

I know this thread is now over a year old, but recently acquired one of these Herschede clocks, much like the “Abbot” model from the original post. These are obviously late models, but at $10 it seemed like a good idea.

The h rotor was stuck, but the movement appeared very clean an in good shape. I revived the rotor by putting in the over at about 200 degrees several times and infusing oil in through the shaft.

I have never drilled for fear of getting metal shards inside. If the above process fails, especially with b rotors; they get sent off to be rebuilt.

I am now up against the ear trumpet ordeal. This is the first time I have encountered one of these. Did anyone find a good repair? Dipping tissue in diluted adhesive sounds promising to me.

I am wondering if I am missing a part. I found a small piece of wire that had fallen down into the speaker cone. It appears it attached to the chime block at one end, but was it just attached to the inside of the cone at the other? Or am I missing something?

Any tips or advice much appreciated.

Molson3003

Apr 14, 2020
Country
Region
Does anybody have one of these chime blocks?

Mine arrived with the longest chime rod broken.

The chime block is quite small (longest rod is approx 6 1/2 “) and suspended to the movement as described in the first movement.

I have been described as being tone deaf and never had any luck with getting a replaced rod to sound right.

I have searched Timesavers and Merrits, but have not found anything like it.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twiggy95
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool