Herschede chime paper cone amplifier

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by timepast, Mar 10, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Here is an electric Herschede ``Abbot`` model Westminster chime mantel clock.. The chime base is not attached to the case but suspended by a bracket attached to the front plate lower corner . Then there is a 90 degree rod from the base which suspend a wire and the paper amplifier cone which was glued ( don`t know what type of glue ) to an open grill at the base of the clock.

The cone is damaged/ripped from the grill. The chime sounds are so faint that I can barely hear them even with my ears next to the chimes.

Does anyone have any idea what type of paper is used or how to repair a large tear? The amplifer cone looks like a old radio speaker cone or old Edison windup phonograph speaker cone. The damaged cone has concentric ridges , is that for rigidity /stability of the paper or does it help with the amplification.?

Since I recieved this clock damaged I have no idea what it orginally sound like with the intact paper cone amplifier. This is a very small 7 1/2 inch tall clock , so I assume it only had a small voice or did it have a larger voice:???:

Thanks for any help as to what it should sound like or how to repair.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Here are some more pictures 86543.jpg 86544.jpg 86545.jpg 86546.jpg

2. dkc599

dkc599 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 21, 2006
    That arrangement is a new one on me. With radio speaker cones the usual means of repair was with model glue, such as Duco cement. Same stuff as crystal cement for watches. Sticky tape was also used. It appears your cone is like the soft gray heavy duty paper that was used in old radio speakers. Good Luck in your restoration.

3. Time4Clocks

Time4Clocks New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Did you ever repair the cone on this clock? I have 2 and am researching information before beginning repair. Thanks, Ab

4. samblust

samblust New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have several of these and would love to know if anyone has come up with a reasonable replacement for the cone. Mine, on various small Herschede and Revere branded clocks look just like speakers. At least what's left of them. Like old speakers, the paper has dried up and disintegrated. An easy fix would be great . Dream on!

5. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    This looks to be an ordinary speaker cone. You can't use a standard replacement speaker cone, because the center would be open to allow for the voice coil. But a paper dust cap for the center of a large speaker should do the trick. Something like this (no affiliation):

Paper Dust Caps (no lip) | Midwest Speaker Repair

The glues used in the old days were asphalt based, but modern speakers are made with a specific vinyl glue. Search "speaker adhesive". There are also repair glues which can work, if the tear isn't too large.

Time4Clocks likes this.
  6. Phil G4SPZ

Phil G4SPZ Phil
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Retired Chartered Electrical Engineer
    Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The generally accepted way of repairing tears etc in old radio loudspeaker cones is by soaking layers of thin tissue paper in diluted PVA adhesive and laying them over the tear. You can actually get black tissue paper (gift wrap) which works even better and is virtually invisible once dry. Another good adhesive is "Copydex" which can be painted over splits, tears etc., remains flexible and dries to be almost invisible.

Phil

7. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just got a similar Hershede in for repair and found the rotor frozen up. I don’t normally work on these, but it’s a friend. Someone had drilled a tiny hole in the back (small) end of the rotor, evidently, to oil the gears inside. I put a few drops of oil in and left over night. It began running, but binds occasionally. Dug through my bone pile and found a rotor just like it, but frozen up also. I drilled a tiny hole in it, shot brake cleaner in, let it sit a while, and it freed up. Drained out cleaner and put in a few drops of good synthetic oil. It runs very well now and is very quiet. Drives clock and chimes well. Will it last? Did I mess anything up? Suggestions?