• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Herschede(1915) 2 weight Chime Issue

rlynch106

Donor
Feb 19, 2022
Country
Region
Hello all and thanks for any help.

I have a 1915 Herschede movement in a grandfather clock case. It is the 2 weight model. I just purchased it recently and after about a month of it mostly working and chiming correctly, it has begin chiming incorrectly. This clock keeps great time, but the chime has not been 100% since I got it. It would only chime incorrectly once-in-awhile, maybe once per day or day and a half. It would then fix itself and continue on its way.

In the last week or two, it has mostly been chiming incorrectly, but does get it right once -in-awhile.

Below is a video of the clock chiming correctly.

Below is a video of it not chiming correctly. Notice the 30-minute chime doesn't stop like it is supposed to. The arm does not sweep to the left like it should but rather lifts up over the top of the pin. That makes me think that pivot point for that arm might be sticky.

Below is a still of the front of the movement. I am wondering if the posts at the arrows should be oiled? I notice there is a bit of oil on them and am wondering if that would cause it to sometimes not stop chiming when it should?

Herschede_front.png

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, please comment.

I have done some clock repairs and cleanings, but am hesitant with the Herschede movement. I have heard they can be difficult to repair. I did buy the Conover book on repairing the Herschede movements, but it doesn't give me much comfort. LOL

Thanks for any help on this. If there is more information that I can provide, please let me know.

Last edited:

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
The locking lever lifted over the top of 30 min lock pin, It needed to lift the lever and pull to the left to lock the waning lock pin and lever.
Try a little more hook at the end of the locking lever, so the pin will stay under the hook.
Maybe bend the lever so it will stay close to the pin drum, not move out and away.
Good luck

Herschede x001 (2021_05_20 12_18_30 UTC).jpg

rlynch106

Donor
Feb 19, 2022
Country
Region
Thanks for the response. I will see if I can bend the hook on the end a little further. I don't want to bend the lever because if it is any closer to the drum it will scrape on it and I don't want that.

Do you know if those spots that I arrowed on the still picture should be oiled? I have read that you should not oil rack pivots because the oil could get gummy and cause the rack to stick allowing the clock to strike continuously. I also had a Urgos movement that had this issue. It kept chiming and would not stop. I cleaned the oil from the rack pivot and it has worked fine since.

rlynch106

Donor
Feb 19, 2022
Country
Region
This is how I fixed the problem. I loosened the two small screws on the arm and angled the tip very slightly to the left.
Herschede_chime_fix.png

Reactions: wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrizzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent