• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

"Herr" Mantle clock with no markings

dga

New User
Jul 26, 2021
Country
Good Evening,

I was wondering if someone could point me towards some information about this mantle clock. The dial has a badge that reads "Herr" but that is literally the only marking I can find on the clock and movement. I have been trying to browse photos online to try to ID the movement but I am not really sure about it. It looks similar to a Franz Hermle movement, similar to a clock posted about a week ago on this forum.. but there are also some differences. For example, the position of the chime movement is a bit different and the chime pin barrel seems to be solid brass.

This movement has a broken suspension spring and this is part of why I am trying to ID the movement.

If you have any idea of who may have made this clock or movement then I'd be thankful if you would be willing to share. Any idea what the age of this clock might be?

Thank you in advance,
Dan

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
According to Mikrolisk this is the mark of Uhrenfabrik A. Herr KG, a firm active during the 1950's. There was no confirmation whether Herr made the movement or had it made by a supplier such as Blessing, Kieninger, or some other company. The later German movements tend to be ambiguous as mystery meat unless explicitly signed or attributed to a particular company. The chimes should sound nice.

dga

New User
Jul 26, 2021
Country
Cool! Thank you chimeclockfan! I didn't know about Mikrolisk but I had some across Uhrenfabrik A. Herr KG when I was trying to compare pictures so that definitely seems to line up. Ha, yes, the chimes sound very nice!

I was surprised to find the movement void of all markings. Based on other pictures I was surprised that there were not even hour markings on the rack. Mystery meat indeed.

As it pertains to replacing the broken suspension spring, I am curious how exactly the dimensions need to match. As far as I can tell, the closest size is a #9 but the broken spring seems to be slightly different and, based on my calipers, the broken spring seems to be about 0.02mm thick whereas I was seeing 0.05mm thickness listed in the specs on Timesavers.com . I will need to remeasure and verify the calipers are not lying. It seems like the thickness of the spring steel would change its compliance and have an effect on the mechanism (a matter of efficiency?). In any case, how closely would/should a spring match?

Thanks again,
Dan

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The new suspension spring should be as close as possible to the old one in terms of thickness and length. Anything too far off will prevent
the clock from running reliably. Timesavers normally has springs that should work but there are other vendors who might have something closer if nothing on Timesavers matches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WoodPress
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-